Herpes Community
How did my child get HSV1

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How did my child get HSV1

Well, I just assumed that my husband had kissed my baby on the lips while he had a sore or one coming on...because my now 16 year old daughter gets cold sores every few months on her mouth.  She probably started getting them about 3 or 4 years ago - I can't even remember - maybe way longer.  But, I've never gotten a sore and I was with this man for 30 years.  Is that possible or can it be she got it genetically..like from his DNA - my husband's family all seem to get cold sores - I never have.  Now, out of NO where, I have a severe outbreak of genital herpes - I thought I was just sore because we had a night of lots and lots of sex...but, everyday it got worse and then the bumps and then the burning and I had to go to the doctor - the pain was excruciating and I can take pain - but not this time.  This is nearly unbearable - to the point of passing out.  So - the doctor tells me I could have had this for over 30 years...or my husband could have given it to me via oral sex - I never thought to even read about it.  Just thought that once his sores were gone, I was safe.  My concern now though is how my daughter got it and will that make her susceptible to getting genital herpes as well.  Anyone care to comment?
what testing have you had done so far? do you know if you have hsv1 or hsv2 genitally?

no, herpes is not genetic. it's a viral illness that spreads from direct skin on skin contact.  

your daughter having hsv1 orally gives her significant protection against contracting hsv1 genitally later on from recieving oral sex. It doesn't offer any significant protection against contracting hsv2 genitally later on though from partners.

grace