How long can HSV-1 live outside of the body on an inanimate object
For how long can herpes live on items such as chairs or tables? Also if I have a herpes sore below my lip does that mean only the sore is contagious or also my saliva even if the saliva doesn't come into contact with the sore?
it can live on some surfaces for hours or even days.  That said, it's not going to be transmitted thru just contact with the virus on a surface.

Yes, herpes can be present in saliva too.  

If you are worried about some saliva from you ending up on a surface - it's not an issue.

grace
Thank you for your quick response. Just a couple other questions. What type of surfaces can herpes live on for hours or even days? Is it a low or high rate of transmission if a person were to touch the herpes virus from an object and then touch themselves while using the bathroom? Once the sores have healed should I wait any certain amount of time before engaging in sexual activity?
Let's skip the 20 questions here a bit - what specific scenerio are you worried about exactly?

grace