Herpes Community
How long can herpes lay dormant?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long can herpes lay dormant?

I have been with the same partner for 13 years.  I recently have broken out with blisters and my doctor took a culture.  She told me it is most likely herpes 1 or 2.  Is is really possible that one of us or both have had this all these 13 years and I have not had an outbreak?  She said outbreaks happen due to stress or a week immune system.  I have had much stress over the years and have had the flu/sicknesses several times.  Why did I suddenly get it now?  My partner insists he was not with anyone else and he shows no signs of the virus.  I am having a very hard time believing him as I know I have been faithful.  My doctor said the herpes virus can lay dormant for years, I read online that it can, but if exposed a second time then you have an outbreak.  Please, I need the truth!
yes indeed either one of you could have genital herpes this long and not know it. at this point wait for your culture to come back - if it's negative, both you and hubby should get type specific herpes igg blood tests to see who has what to cover your bases and then go from there.

it's not really that the infection is dormant, it's very misleading to say that. Most folks who have oral herpes don't get obvious cold sores to know it but the virus is still active periodically and can be transmitted to a partner via oral sex. Same with hsv2, most folks don't recognize ob's of it for what they are and it still sheds periodically to be transmitted to a partner. The virus is still active periodically even if symptoms aren't being noticed whether it's oral or genital herpes.

grace