How long can herpes remain dormant?
If I engages in sex with a female that had genital herpes about over 10 years ago, is it possible for me to have the herpes virus dormant in me and not have an outbreak yet?  Is 10 years too long for no symptoms?  If there is an outbreak, could it of been from that relationship 10 years ago?   I never have been tested. I am curious because I thought I might of had an outbreak a while back but I was unsure and never got it checked out.  Now I am wondering if it was herpes, could it come back?  What are the best methods for getting tested (most accurate) and how long after I have sex can I get tested for Herpes?

Thank you.

P-  
up to 5 years it can stay dorment in the dorsal root ganglion nerve in the brain (if you had chicken pox its still there until its reactivated in the form of shingles!) if you think you had a symptom you should have went to the doctor w/in 24 hrs to have a hsv pcr culture swab done! along w lab work! for all you know you could have spreded it to someone else! :( some poeple have it and have an outbreak once every 5 years and others have 5 in one month it depends on your immune system which varies from person to person. the most accurate,expensive,and the longest awaited test is the western blot. there are other test but some people have a problem w testing w certain tests (for me as an example i cant use the focus herpes select test)