Herpes Community
How long does it take to build up antibodies to test positive on a std ...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long does it take to build up antibodies to test positive on a std test?

I have heard it can take a few weeks to 6 months. I dont understand that. I ask this question in some forums & some say 3 weeks & others say 3 months. I know for a fact that your supposed to wait 3 months to do a blood test for herpes cause it takes awhile to build up antibodies.

Another point i want to bring up is i have type 1 as well. Does that have any part to making type 2 antibodies? Will the type 2 antibodies build up slower or faster sense i have type 1?
And when i say type 1 & 2 i am meaning herpes! Thanks guys i forgot to add that.
It depends on the test as much as anything. about 1/2 of folks who have recently contracted hsv2 will test + within 2-3 weeks of being infected. About 3/4's of them will test + by 2 months. We recommend waiting until 4 months so that it covers all of the current tests out there and their time frame as well as gives you the most accurate answer without drawing it out for 1/2 a year.  It's really not all cut and dry which is why it's good for folks who aren't sure of their situation to ask a health professional with training in herpes testing like myself, Dr Handsfield, Dr Hook, Terri Warren or aunt jessi in particular on medhelp for help with their particular situation.  

I know you answer posts on other forums - the best advice is to tell folks to test at 4 months post encounter and then if they aren' t sure if they can trust their results, seek out additional help from someone experienced in these matters.  The vast majority of folks can trust a negative hsv2 result at the 4 month mark though - very few exceptions.

grace