Herpes Community
How long does it take type specific blood results to show HSV1 or 2 inf...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long does it take type specific blood results to show HSV1 or 2 infection?

Three years ago, I had a herpes culture done. The paper work was a mess (one page said HSV1 the other page said HSV 2 and that HSV1 had not been tested for). This year (3 years since first outbreak), I had blood work done. The type specific tests come back negative. While I have never had another outbreak, I believe I have herpes. Still, I would like to know how long it takes for the anitbodies to show up in a blood test. Thank you.
even the best blood tests still miss 1out of every 10 hsv1 infections.  hard to tell if your latest blood work is missing a previous hsv1 infection or not.

have you discussed your previous results with your obgyn?

would you be + by now? yes you would be. a small percentage of folks won't be detected on the blood tests we have now but odds are it's hsv1 genitally and not hsv2 from what you've posted if you had a + lesion culture in the past.

grace
Thank you for your quick response.

If you don't mind, I just want to triple check some information: From what I have read (here, with my doctor, on other sites), HSV 1 is a strange creature on the genitals. The virus survives, but would prefer an oral site. Therefore, yes, I still have to be careful to not pass it along to others. But no, because the HSV 1 is not "home"  (in my mouth), it makes sense that I have few outbreaks.
correct -hsv1 genitally tends to reoccur less often. it also sheds less often too.