Herpes Community
How long does prodromal last?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long does prodromal last?

I have had hsv-1 for years and possibly hsv 2 as well. I had an std in my 20s but the DR never did really ID it. I recently suffered an outbreak of ocular herpes and now I seem to be having prodromal symptoms of gential (genital) hsv. I have tingling little prick pains all through my body and have also suffered mild headaches and some queezy stomach.I have had these for 1-1/2 weeks now. How long do these last before the outbreak? I have never had an outbreak before but I'm thinking my time is coming. I have had risky sex with 4 women in the last 6 months .... condom for intercourse but none for oral giving or receiving.  I do have anitbodies for both hsv types (one test 2 weeks ago)  I am on Aclyovir for a couple more days.
Your thoughts Doc?
this is not the doctor's forum. you have to pay to post there.  

were you seen and properly diagnosed as having ocular herpes?  typically ocular herpes is hsv1 reactivating and moving up the nerves to the eye. It usually is not you transmitting it to the eyes or anything of that sort.  

If you can call and get the actual numeric results of your herpes blood testing you had done 2 weeks ago, I can better help you with that part. You need to post the actual numeric igg results for me - e.g. hsv1 igg 5.3 and hsv2 igg 2.0 or whatever they are so we can be sure you were properly tested for herpes and don't need further confirmatory testing for your hsv2 status.  

your overall symptoms you are having don't sound like a herpes prodrome. typically recurrences of herpes only cause prodromal symptoms for a day or two prior to symptoms too.  sounds like perhaps you caught a viral infection like are going around this time of the year or even from the acyclovir. headaches and abdominal pain and nausea are the 3 most common side effects from it.  

keep asking questions!

grace

keep asking questions!

grace

I got online to look at lab results but nothing was listed for HSV... just some blood panel for sodium,glucose etc. I will have to call them Monday. I really need to know if I'm newly infected or chronic from the 80s. the prickly pains have all but gone now but I still have a slight UTI and what feels like swelling in the groin. Also, to answer your question about that ocular diagnosis,, yes, the opthalmologist diagnosed ocular herpes in my R. eye. IDK if it is hsv 1 or 2 though.
odds are it's hsv1. usually hsv2 in the eyes is only with babies, not adults.
I went and got the test results.. I am so sad to say they are 4.6 igg so looks like I am definately hsv2+. Is it possible I have been at that level for several years or would this indicate a recent exposure?  The symtoms (symptoms) I am having still are puzzling me ...I still have the sharp prick pains anywhere and everywhere intermittantly through my body and also kidney / bladder pain with testes pain mainly on the R side. I am so confused ,, I have had these symptoms 3 weeks now ,, no blisters or sores anywhere though.  
so that's the hsv2 igg of 4.6?  

no way to know when you contracted hsv2 from the blood tests. It could've been a few months ago or a few years ago.

the symptoms you've had for 3 weeks don't sound herpes related at all. odds are it's something else going on and finding out you have hsv2 is just a coincidence.  If it's been more than 2 weeks since you were last examined, don't hesitate to return for further follow up to try to get to the bottom of what is going on.
yes, 4.6 igg hsv2.
Grace, can you please exlain how the numeric scale works? I am curious as to whether the number can go up and down or if it reaches a certain level and stays there. Also, could re-exposure to another hsv2 carrier raise the value or provoke an outbreak?
Btw   -thanks for all your answers here on the forum,, we really appreciate you taking the time to help when you don't really have to.
ps, I am seeing my GP tomorrow.
I am not grace (shes better looking than I) but let me explain the scale.  The numbers at that level are just how sure the test is.  Going off what grace said and what little I know from reading the forums (grace will and does correct me if I am off) the level you are at is above the typical false positive range.  

The number can and will change from test to to test.  Its not a measure of how much anitbody is int he blood its just how the test confirms it is a good result.  

I am not sure on the provoking of another attack.  I haven't seen much about that but I will leave that to someone with a little more knowledge then I.  

Keep asking us questions we don't mind helping at all.  
Grace, could you finish answering my questions? Thanks Mistakeguy.
the numeric results will vary from test to test but typically once you are positive, you remain positive on the testing.
Ok, what about re-exposure? Would exposure to say a 9.0 igg person cause my level to increase and provoke outbreaks?
nope
My igm results say "not detected" . The Dr. said that indicates my exposure is not recent. Is this accurate information? Any other way to determine a time frame?
There is no set way to tell how long you have had this.  
Got my lab results back, they are all negative for other STD's or bacterial infections. Cultures and urology were all negative. Friday was a "*****" with prickly pains and discomfort in my back and where my spinal attaches to the brain. I am not normally an anxious person so I don't think this is simply stress related. I guess I maybe see a neurologist next.

Keep folloing up with your provider.  Doesn't sound like herpes.  
Is is common for Ocular ob's to be followed up by little spasms ine the eyelid?  I have had spasms for 3 days now ,, as well as the pricklys  off and on other places.  Is there any drugs or over the counter to reduce spasms ?
if you think your herpes is reoccurring in the eye area, give your provider a call. typically they start a full round of medications for it.  
How common is it for Herpes to trigger MS  ( multiple sclerosis ) ? I was reading about the disease and the symptoms seem to resemble what I have. I am so upset thinking my nerves and brain will never be the same and my whole life will come crashing down. I just hope and pray this is some nerve virus that can be zapped and I get healty again.
I was wondering if Ocular herpes can be Hsv-2 ? I have heard hsv-2 is rare to get orally,,I guess I'm confused on the oral and genital implications and what does all this mean symptom and prognosis wise ??  If a person has both 1 and 2 in both locales would they be subject to worse overal health and perhaps some peripheal neuropathy?
it wouldn't make any difference in their long term health.  

usually it's newborns that have hsv2 eye infections, not adults.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers