Herpes Community
How long does the virus last on a hand?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long does the virus last on a hand?

How long does the HSV-2 virus live on someone's hand? For example, let's say a man was having an outbreak (or I guess if he wasn't having an outbreak if there's any difference in the answer) and the man touched his penis and then proceeded to touch a female's breasts he was with. There was no contact with the woman's vagina. Is there a chance of giving the HSV-2 virus to this woman?

Why or why not?
thts a very good ? tht i would like to kno the answer 2 also..
The virus needs more than just hand contact.  It needs heat and friction to get in the skin.  There skin on your breast is pretty think.  It's not like the virus just touches you and then you are infection.
Well mistakeguy lets say he kept feeling my breast, wouldn't that be the friction required?

Also, say for arguments say I did acquire hsv-2 this way. would the virus ever manifest itself genitally then?
this is not a risk. the virus isn't easily transmitted through manual stimulation.

does your partner have hsv2 or is this just a random partner whose status in general you aren't aware of?

grace
grace, would you elaborate on why the virus isn't easily transmitted through manual stimulation so I can better understand?

and I am not aware of his status, but I'm just going with the "worse case scenario" here.
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Transmission-Question/show/247025  is a prior post by HHH that perhaps you will find helpful.
Hmm. It did help me only a little bit, but what I got from the article is that the person wouldn't really have to worry about getting the virus transferred to their hand as in having breakouts and such on the hand.

But couldn't the virus still be present on the hand and have enough friction on the breast to transfer to virus?

Please forgive all the questions. I would just like to get this question all answered so I don't have to linger on the internet looking up what if scenarios
This question was answered.  You need to stop worrying about this.
mistake, I think a different question was answered though, not the specific instance I am concerned about. :S
you just don't get enough active virus on your hand to transmit it that way.  it's the prolonged sex act that is the risk more than just coming into contact with the virus.

make more sense?
Yes I think so.

so I shouldn't be worried about acquiring the virus from possible virus being on a hand that was massaged onto a breast?
correct
I woke up to change my daughters diaper and realized I scratched myself in my sleep in an area I was infected in. Can I infect her? I used a wipe on her before applying her diaper cream, but I'm worried that by touching myself and then maybe an hour later touching her will give her virus. Please help!