Herpes Community
How long should itch last before sores appear?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

During the initial outbreak, how long should the genital itching last before sores appear or other symptoms begin?

Also, how long do you have to wait after you had sex to get a herpes blood test?  If I get one after one week, is that too early?  Also, do free STD clinics usually do herpes blood tests or will I have to pay for it?  Does anyone know how much it costs?

Thanks in advance; I REALLY appreciate any and all help.
Tags: sores, symptom
You can get free or low cost lesion cultures done but I don't know of any clinics that offer free herpes blood tests :(

Itching should only last a day or two before lesions appear.  

! week post encounter is too early to find out if you contracted hsv from that encounter. if you've never had a herpes blood test before though it's a good idea to get a baseline one done.  

grace
Hey Grace,

Thanks for the quick response, you're a godsend on this board!

I've got anothe quick question though.  Three days after my sexual encounter, I began to develop itching in my genitals.  The itching has continued for the past 4 days, however no lesions have appeared.

Does this  mean that the itching is in my head or could it just be that I have very mild symptoms of an initial outbreak?  What throws me off is that 90% of people don't know they have herpes.

So I guess my main question is, if there is itching related to herpes, do lesions (small or big) HAVE to appear soon afterwards?  If they do not appear, does that mean that the itching has nothing to do with herpes?

Thanks in advance!
You have 2 different threads here which makes it difficult. please pick one of them and stick to it to make it easier for us.

It's unlikely that this is genital herpes from a one time oral sex encounter. It could be but it's low risk and your symptoms aren't really pointing in that direction. follow up with your provider - it sounds like something non-herpetic. Might even be plain ole fungus from the normal yeast in the mouth area being not so normal in the genital area.

grace
I now have a fever of 99.2! I'm really scared!  Is this common of herpes, espeically since I've been itching for the past 5 days and I (male) received oral sex last wednesday? please help!
following up on my last question....is it possible to get a fever before sores appear?  Because as of now, I've had itching/tingling for the past 5 days and tonight i've gotten a fever of 99.2, but still no sores or lesions or redness.

plllllllllease help!
There's really nothing we can do at this point. You need to go be seen instead of sitting at home panicking.

grace
Hey grace,

thanks for all your help. i'm pretty sure i have herpes now...my fever has gone up to 100 and my neck seems swollen.  it's sad and i am angry b/c im still a virgin (i had oral sex for the FIRST time), but i'm just gonna take it as it comes.

:(
You might find this surprising dahlin but herpes isn't the only thing that can cause fevers!!!  As I said - stop sitting at home worrying yourself like this and go be seen and get a professional evaluation.

grace
Hey grace, I've got a doctor's appointment today, so I'll let you know how it goes.  Fingers crossed.
hey grace, so i just went back to the doctor.  he couldn't explain the fever and such, which is worrisome.  he took a lot of blood tests and i should get the results back in a week, but once again, since this has been my first sexual experience, a baseline test isn't really going to help much.

in terms of a symptom timeline, i had oral sex/body contact last wednesday, and since last friday, i've been having itching (6 days now) and as of tuesday, i had 99.2, i had 100 last night, and right now im back around 99.5.

in terms of a timeline, shouldn't i have sores by now?  does it make sense for all these initial symptoms to drag on for days and then to finally get lesions and sores?
I really don't think this is due to herpes.

grace
grace, if you're right about this, i am buying you a big fat present and mailing it to you :)  but really though, i truly appreciate all your help with this.  because no one else knows that i had sex, i have no one else i can talk to about this, and it really means a lot that there is a community out there that is so willing to help.

the girl i had sex with is also getting tested, and my results should be back by next friday.  ill be sure to let you know how it goes.  THANKS AGAIN!
I accept payment of krispy kreme's and/or reisling wine :)

grace
Grace,

BAD NEWS.  I'm so scared.  The girl got her results back and has hsv 1 AND 2.  My itching has gone and so has my fever and i never got lesions.  what do you think???

help!
I still think you are worrying about nothing.

Do you know her numerical results?

grace
you know exactly what to say to calm my nervevs down :)

her doctor didn't tel lher, but she has a follow up this coming wed, and i told her to ask.  she has never had symptoms in her life before.

i have my appt on monday and shoulud get my results.  but seeing as how the oral sex/gential contact was on jun 4, the antibodies shouuldn't show up yet.  ill let you know the results when i get them.

and i still havent forgotten about the krispy kreme im getting you if im negative :)
hi grace

my baseline tests (2 weeks post exposure) came back negative as expected.  i am now 22 days past exposure and since yesterday my butt and lower back have been sore and achy, especially my perenium.  It feels numb and aches and is sore.

I'm still hoping I don't have herpes, but at this point it's looking grim.  My question is, would a sore perenium, butt, lower back come BEFORE an outbreak or am i having a mild outbreak right now and just not realizing.  how long after these symptoms should lesions appear?

thanks so much grace. i'm sad and extremely depressed, but it helps to have you help out and answer my questions.

thanks,
nick
I think your freaking yourself out and making yourself have syptoms (symptoms). Just calm down and wait for the the doctors or too see something on you.
bump
If this guy truly has herpes, I am still waiting to hear something to prove it! Nothing he has said indicates herpes and all of these symptoms are anxiety driven!! Move on and stop wasting your time and money on getting tested after you get your negative test back! YOU DON'T HAVE IT!!!!
Do herpes itch. And what can i use to stop the itch