Herpes Community
How long till an outbreak?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How long till an outbreak?

Beginning of November I had unprotected sex with my BF. turns out he had been cheating and had HSV2.  He told me 2 weeks after of his status. And that HE wasn't worried as he was taking suppressive meds.

The day before thanksgiving I went to urgent care and had swab testing done no noticeable sores were found. I continue to have burning, tingling, itching in my vagina area and shooting pain in my legs. I was put on famciclovir but then told to discontinue  when swab was negative.

I am a Month out with no sores. Would I have gotten and OB by now? I continue to have "prodome" symptoms. I was told a blood test would need to be done 3 months after for antibodies. The stress of wondering if every twinge is an OB is consuming me. Can the test be done earlier?
just itching and pain and no obvious lesions usually isn't due to herpes. since you've taken famvir, hard to tell if that helped to keep from developing obvious lesions or not.  it's unfortunate that it appears that no one has sat you down and talked to you about all of this to help with your anxiety :(

so are you likely to contract hsv2 from your partner? Overall the risk is very low.  Odds are you've been exposed many times to his herpes and never knew it, it' s just now that you know he has it, your anxiety about it all is causing you issues.  

So what do you do now? Well your partner has had other partners so you need to cover your full std testing bases. you can test for gonorrhea, chlamydia and trich after 1 week after you last had sex with him. syphilis after 6 weeks. herpes, hiv and hepatitis after 3 months. Unfortunately you can't cover your hpv testing base to include that too. Have you had your gardasil shots for hpv yet?

No more herpes antivirals unless you have obvious symptoms.  Swab testing without obvious lesions was a waste of your time too.

are you still with this partner?

grace
Grace thank you for responding. I don't have the HPV vaccine as I was over she when it was developed and had already had HPV (unknown source as I was not sexually active @15).  My only sexual encounter with my EX since January was at the beginning of November (he was out of the state until then).  He was clean in January when we had our "yearly testing".  So chances are he got this between Jan and Nov so I wouldn't have had any past exposure from him.

When I went to urgent care they swabbed for everything--and all where clear i was told. But based on it being so soon I think syphiis ought to be redone?? I have not had an HIV test yet-I will.

I think the ps k of info given to me is not helping my stress. Everything I read on line points the symptoms to me having the hsv 2 virus-and with the swab test not being a good test without lesions I didn't know what to do. Waiting until feb for a blood test will eat at me for sure. Not to mention make me not want to date.

We are not together anymore. If I could I'd have him arrested for not telling me and doing this. How careless a thing to do to someone you "love".  I want to be sure I'm covering the bases and not putting my daughter at risk or anyone else.

Again thank you for your help.
Sorry for the typos. I'm on my phone and my 5 yo is using my back as a bounce house!
your daughter would not be at risk for herpes from you! we never have that sort of contact with our children!

swab testing only covered chlamydia, gonorrhea and trich testing and only if they were ordered.

you also will need to check to see if either of you had herpes testing in January too.  it's typically not a part of routine std testing.

I know the chlamydia and gonorrea was def tested for...the urgent cre doc said they would run the whole panel to be sure he hasdn't shared anything else with me.  Oh and the HSV swab.   I will call for the other tests.  As for the IgG test, is it worth doing now and again in February or to just wait it out and try not to stress?

Will having taken the antivirals do any harm to me?

Thanks again--I have read the handbook on your site several times now, as well as so many other websites my head is spinning.  
no, antivirals won't harm you if you don't have herpes.

I'd get the herpes testing done in february for peace of mind.
While I am seriously hoping the HSV test is neg.  Do you have any idea what would be causing the burning, itching and tingling?  For whatever reason it is worse at night, and today has been bad for it.  

This doesn't look like a yeast infection to me--I know I am being paranoid but I've just never felt anything like this before (and its been 3 weeks of this).  Ugg.  Why are people so careless with other's health?!

As a side note: the idiot asked if I would give back the ring.  Got to love it.
call the clinic and see if they tested you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally or not. if they didn't, go and be seen somewhere and get it done.  
I go tomorrow for my IgG specific test.  They will do one now then again inFebruary at the 3 month mark.  I've started develping tingling and burning around my mouth too-and the nurse today said it looked like I may be starting a cold sore.  Fantastic--as I have never had one before.

Anyhow-the nurse also told me that the IgG specific test results wouldn't matter because both HSV types are the same no matter what. So no matter what one came back positive I was to act like I had herpes and tell all future partners.  I pointed out it did matter because one was much harder to control and caused painful lesions on some very sensative parts of your anotomy.  

Is she correct? Is there no difference once I test positive for one?

I haven't heard of any of my friends with cold sores taking suppresive therapy but the ones with HSV 2 certainly do.  
given the possible cold sore--could he have given me HSV 2 orally? According the to results he showed me he does not have HSV 1.

Sorry for all the questions.  You truly are a wonderful help!
Oh and yes they tested for bacterial infections, yeast, and a UTI/bladder infection.
not likely you have hsv2 at all let alone orally.  

the nurse did indeed give you very erroneous info :( type does matter!!!
Ok so blood test came in--I had to call and ask, apparently they didn't see a need to contact me.

I tested negetive to ghon, chlamidia, trich, HIV, Hep and Hep B.

Now this is where I am lost:  I specially requested type specific IGG tests. The results given me where as follows:

HSV 1 Positive 3.88 (I have never had a cold sore)
IGM 1/2 1.25 indication of recent infection but no type given.

I understand that the IGM is useless per say.  however, could it indicate that I have HSV 2 and the antiboidies just haven't reached high enough levels as it has not been 3 months since exposure?

The nurse had no HSV 2 level to give me.  I am concerned that the 3.88 is a combination level of both 1&2 and now I don't know if I am in fact infected.

I also continue to have what the dr said were "prodomal" symptoms that seem to go in cycles of intensity.  I was so hoping for some actual results and answers so I know what to be careful of and if I will start suppresive therapy.
we don't recommend the igm testing. a + igm is useless - it tells you nothing.

most people who have hsv1 orally don't get obvious cold sores to know that they are infected.  

you wouldn't have prodromal symptoms for 2 weeks and no obvious lesions.  

repeat your hsv2 igg in february and go from there.
Thank you Grace.  

I was just so frustrated when they didn't run the one test I went in for.  
I'd be more than frustrated - I'd be peed off!!!
My doctor finally called tonight. She was upset the nurse even tried to read the results to me. The correct tests had been done after all.

HSV 1 is def positive. I'm ok with this. I can deal.
HSV 2 is neg. will retest in February. But in the meantime I am to keep taking valtrex just in case.

Igm was positive but as I always have elevated levels if epstine Barr virus in my system this wouldn't be a good test ever. Especially for herpes.

The prodome symptoms aren't constant. Started ~2 weeks post exposure. Lasted a little over a week no OB. Then nothing for a few days/week. Then returned but not as bad.

My best guess is its psychosomatic. Coupled with the stress over knowing what he did, it's the end if my semester, work  and the holidays. Here's hoping anyhow.

THANK YOU for your help and advice Grace. Ill keep you posted on changes :-)

Happy holidays.
I wouldn't continue with valtrex suppressively until you retest. it can interfere with your follow up test results. I'd stop it and if you get new symptoms, be seen promptly for a lesion culture and typing.  
Wow. Ok. I guess I'll stop. They insisted it wouldn't interfere with the tests at all. Thank you for the advice.
I am so confused about whether to stopthe Valtex or not.  My doctor's office is insisting it will not affect the results of my retest and to stay on the meds to reduce the chance to transmitting HSV 2 in case I have it and because of my pre-exisiting Fibromyalgia-I have an over active sensory system that causes me to feel higher amounts of pain than normally expected with standard stimuli.  

I can agree to abstain from sex-but I see the point about the Fibro and related issues.  I have them under control for the moment but do I chance an OB then deal with the resulting discomfort....or do I chance messing with the test results?

I guess I am really asking how much can the valtrex mess with results?  Everything I research contradicts each other--I figure those here on the forum have way more knowledge and experience and are most likely better educated in HSV then the staff at the Dr's...who couldn't even read the results of my first test accurately.
your doctor's office is greatly misinformed about herpes in general I think.

being on suppressive therapy from early on can cause false negatives on follow up testing which is why you need to stop it since you didn't have any + lesion culture to confirm infection.   you need to get the right answers as fast as possible so stopping the valtrex is the right thing to do.
Thank you. I will take your advice over theirs!
So tonight I noticed just inside my vagina (labia minora?) up close near my clitoris clusters of teeny tiny white looking bumps on either side.  More on one side than the other.  So far no itching or pain with them...but I am curious if this may be the start of an OB?  I don't go back for follow up blood work until Feb and wasn't sure if this was something to be concerned with and/or I should be having them swabbed? I was told the best time to do that was within 24-48 hours of finding them...
these sound rather normal actually.
So I had to make a return trip to the OBGYN. As my cycle approached a few days ago (ring was removed Sunday) I developed an intense aching pain, itching, burning feeling in my vaginal area. There are bumps present that have begun cropping up since Friday AM-hurt to touch but don't seem to be filling with fluid. Or bursting.

Dr said they feared it was the start of my OB but as I have HSV 1 it was probably going to be less sever than it could have been. I was put back in valtrex 500mg 2x a day. Swabs weren't done as no open lesions exist and they didn't want to disturb the bumps they could see.

The discomfort is UNBELIEVABLE. The tingling/burning all over my vagina/anus and the pain in my legs is distracting.

I know I am to retest my IGG hSV 2 next month but I'm worried taking the Valtrex will give me a false negative. The dr plans to keep me in it until then to control and reduce this OB.

I'm exhausted and so stressed. The only time I have relief is if I am in a hit bath.

Anyone have suggestions on how to relieve the pain and lesson the severity of the OB?
It's really unfortunate that they didn't culture you for faster and more accurate answers :(

did they do any testing for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you were seen?
No they didn't test for yeast or bacteria I was told it didn't make sense as none if the symptoms where consistent. The nurse said the pain could be related to the on set of my period and the valtrex (can apparently make your period painful?)

I was recently on a 10 day course of Amox for a sinus infection and oral surgery so yeast made sense to me but there hasn't been much change in my normal discharge and no smell-so I guess that's why they didn't think it was a yeast infection.

I just know that the constant pain in my vaginal area (seriously feels like i was punched in my junk) itch and tingling and the feeling that the lymph nodes are bruised (yet not swollen as far as i can tell) is beyond normal! Ugg!

I do feel best in the tub but I can't spend all day there! Lol.

I'm counting the days until my retest at the lab-but I'm worried the Valtrex will slow seroconversion and screw them up.  

Why on earth are so many doctors offices not well educated on this STD?!

Also, as I try to educate myself in this does anyone know the chances if getting HSV 2 after a single encounter with someone who is on suppressive and not having an OB?  I guess I'm just trying to figure out chances/probabilities.
they dropped the ball by not testing you for vaginal infections when you were seen :(     I'd go elsewhere and make sure that they do test you for these common infections.