Herpes Community
How soon after a Very Questionable Incounter should a person be tested ...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

How soon after a Very Questionable Incounter should a person be tested for HSV 1 & 2

I'm wondering how soon after my Husband had his sex encounter with the Prostitute should he have been tested, for STD's?  He tested around 6 days (Oct 19,09) after sex with her, and came up Negative on all tests except HSV 1 which he says, he's had for years.
He has not retested yet.  I came up HSV 2 and it does not show up on test,  and he can still pass along the genital herpes??????
Thank you
My HSV 2 IGG Type Spec Index is 2.71 Approximately how long would the virus be in my system based on those results?  This is really really important to me.

Thank you for any input to this question!
Note:  After I finished freaking out, laying on the floor crying and kicking and screaming, I dug around and answered the question of how long my husband should wait to get tested again.  But the second part to this that I just posted is still open.  I really want some idea on this so please don't pass over my posts!  Thank you so much!  I appreciate any help I can get right now.
First question...

3 to 4 months after possible exposure is the time frame recommended to be tested via blood test to rule out any false negatives....however, if he showed any symptoms, he should got the Dr ASAP.

2. Your positive result does not reflect how long the virus has been in your body. (2.71 is in the realm of false positives, so you might want to have a confirmation test)

ps. If your Husband caught HSV2 from the prostitute in Oct...then its most likely that your IGG test result is not a result of his exposure with the prostitute....
your husband needs to repeat most of his testing at a later date as you have already discovered it sounds like.

you need to get further comfirmatory testing to see if your low positive hsv2 igg is accurate or not.  A herpes WB would be the best blood test if you can get your provider to order it for you.  http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Confusing-Igg-Test-Results/show/771141  is a good prior post on why low positive hsv2 igg's need confirmatory testing.

grace
Hi Grace,
Ok I am encouraged. Thank you for sending the link to the earlier thread!!!  My husband was with the Prostitute on August 13,09 (not in Oct) he was tested for STD'[s on August 19, 09 (6 days after exposure). I didn't find out untill Oct the 15th,  I now know and so does he that this was too soon for him to get tested and maybe for me too!
I already knew he had HSV 1 oral (cold sores) from childhood but he tested Negative for HSV 2 genital.
My TypeSpecific IgG HSV 1 oral was  3.70 "High". & my HSV 2 genital was 2.71 "High" .
So based on the information in the fololowing thread you sent to me, you are saying a false positive could be possible in my case.:

Your Earlier Thread regarding TypeSpec IgG HSV tests :
"Since the type-specific HSV IgG tests came into general use, research has shown that results above 1.1 (the official cut-off value for a positive result) are not reliably positive unless 3.5 or higher.  At values like your result of 1.7, only around 30-40% actually have HSV-2.  As you will see in the other thread, the fact that your HSV-1 result is positive is in your favor:  it might increase the chance that your HSV-2 result is falsely positive."

That there is still the possibility that my results for  HSV 2 genital may be a false/positive is encourging.  I will take your recomendations (also from the other thread regarding types of tests) and he will be re-tested around Nov13th (3 months since his encounter) and I will re-test shortly after that:

Excerpt taken from earlier thread re: Additional Testing:
"How you can sort this out by additional testing, either with the BiokitUSA test (which your doctor can do in the office in 20 minutes, while you wait) or by the Western blot test."
I do have one quick question:  What does "High" mean in the catigory of LabCorp's Results???

Grace I cannot thank you enough!  My Dr's office said nothing about "Low Positive" in regards to my test results, only that I had HSV 2.  I am so thankful for this website!

Sincerely,
DdoBird
Grace, So sorry for my oops in the date mix up from my original post.  August 13th is the correct month and date of his prostitute encounter.  
Thank you for your help!
ddobird
high just means that it's +.

definitely repeat your testing  and have your husband repeat all but his chlamydia and gonorrhea again.

grace
Thanks Grace!  I'll post back when test's are redone with the results.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers