Herpes Community
Hsv-1 and oral sex transmission

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hsv-1 and oral sex transmission

The other night I performed oral sex on my partner. I woke up the next morning and had a cold sore on my upper lip. I am worried that I may have transmitted it to my partner. I didn't experience any signs or symptoms of having an outbreak. There was no tingling, redness, or sight of blisters. If there was, then I would had refrained from performing oral sex.

1.) What are the chances of my spreading the infection to my partners genitals when the cold sore has not yet "blisterd?"

2.) What are the signs and symptoms that they should be looking for on their genital area

Thank you for your help
Can't give you the odds of transmission, but with a possible active cold sore, it's a higher than normal risk.

Has your partner ever been tested to know their HSV1 status?

Symptoms may include sores/blisters, painful urination, itching, and a discharge from the penis or the vagina.and typically can happen anywhere from 2-20 days after. At this point you'll have to wait and see.
My partner has never been tested, but has never had a cold sore. They are very healthy, and does not get sick easily. I'm a little confused when you say.."hight than normal risk"...is there still a risk of transmitting even when my lip is perfectly normal without any sings or show of a cold sore?
The majority of folks who have oral herpes never have symptoms and don't even know they have it. Assume nothing of your partner's herpes status. Being healthy or not has nothing to do with getting herpes, either. 60% of the adult population has it, and by the age of 50 that number is close to 90%!

You risk transmitting it to your partner even without symptoms. It's called viral shedding, when the virus is active and transmissible even without symptoms.   So with a cold sore, it's a higher risk than when you have no cold sore. I have genital HSV1 from my partner who has oral HSV1; in the 5+ years we were together he never had a cold sore.