Herpes Community
Hsv-1 transmission with friction burn

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hsv-1 transmission with friction burn

Hey so my question is what are the chances of me transmitting hsv-1 to my girlfriend when I haven't had an outbreak since being diagnosed in October last year. We were doing some heavy kissing and naked dry humping. I noticed after this, before we had sex with a condom that my penis head had received some friction burn during this which I'm wondering, given it is just friction burn and not an actual outbreak, does it increase the chance of me giving her herpes? I feel really bad she says she doesn't mind if she catches it but I wouldn't want her to go through what I did before meeting her.
so you have hsv1 genitally?  what testing did you have done to diagnose that?

has your gf been tested to know her own herpes status?

grace
Hi grace thanks for the response :)
I had a swab test on one of the sores on my penis at the time of my first outbreak which came back positive for hsv1. Doctor said I could've caught it from oral or vaginal sex which I did do both and had symptoms 2 days after the random hook up. The girl said she never had symptoms so it could've been either, but that is also why I'm worried about my current gf catching it now. She hasn't been tested for herpes just the standard testing doctors do in a sexual health check
grace i've noticed my friction burn turning into 2 or 3 herpes like lesions now. is it possibile that i was shedding at the time the friction burn occurred or is it more likely the virus started shedding after as a result of the friction burn? i had no known symptoms at the time which is why we thought it was relatively safe to part-take in general outercourse stuff
hsv1 genitally is almost exclusively transmitted through oral sex. it can be transmitted from genitals to genitals but the risk of such is very low.  

your current partner will need tested to know her herpes status. you can't make educated decisions about what precautions to take until you know who has what.

you should also avoid sex until the skin is  back to normal in the genital area.  "trauma" to the genital area can cause some herpes shedding though typically that seems to be more with hsv2 than hsv1 in the genital area. always best to err on the side of caution.