Herpes Expert Forum
Hsv1

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Hsv1

I have had hsv1 since I was a child. I was recently with someone and may have inadvertently given him HSV 1 through oral sex. He had a breakout and symptoms resembling herpes, but when he was tested his blood test was inconclusive. i don't even know if he got the correct test, and he now has no access to the records for Us to figout.  Meanwhile, we are not together anymore and even though we are in communication, I don't know if he'll get another test until he has another breakout.

My question is, what are the chances that if he contracted HSV 1 genitally, that he gave it to me?  He broke out at two different times when we were together. the first time i had no symptoms, the second time there was some itching in the anal region, but no visible breakout.  i even when to the gynecologist, and she didn't see anything.  Can I get hsv 1orally and then reinfect myself genitally? can it exist on the body in two different areas? It seems from what I have read, that the chances are very low. But now that I am dating again, I don't know what I should tell my new partner, and also, whether it is necessary to use protection, I.e. a condom every time? I know that there isn't a test to differentiate between hsv1 orally and genitally, so I am at a loss as to what I need to do with my next partner.

Tags: HSV 1
You are correct, the chances are very low that you would get HSV in a new location once you have established infection at one site on your body.

His blood test was likely inconclusive due to new infection.  It takes a while for the antibody test to be positive, for some, up to four months.

If I were you, I would assume that you are infectious only from your mouth rather than from the genital area.  Whether you decide to inform future partners about your oral infection is kind of your call, but as you can see, transmission in this way does occur and now, in our practice, about 40% of new cases of genital herpes are due to HSV 1, not HSV 2.  If a future partner tells you that also have had cold sores, you're home free.  If not, it might be good for them to get an antibody test to see if they might be infected and don't know it.  

Terri