Herpes Community
Hsv2 positive
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hsv2 positive

Tested 6 mos ago at 3rd part testing and was told hsv2 positive. My gun said since I had no symptoms n no signs of ever having break out don't worry. Tests couldn't differentiate between 1 and 2.   Am in a new relationship and got retested for my safety. It came back positive again and said igg 4.43 was the number. Still never had a breakout. Can't get in to gun for a week. But should I really be concerned?  Not sure what to believe.  
Tags: hsv2, positive
9 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
is the 4.43 result a combined herpes igg, hsv1 or hsv2?

grace
Blank
It was HSV2
Blank
When I saw my gyn after the first test (which I didn't get written results of) he asked about cold/canker sores.  I did get a couple cold sores in high school but get canker sores every other month or so. He indicated that would cause the positive test and not to worry.  And he also said the only way to confirm was by testing lesions.
Blank
I didn't mention my hsv1 Igg ab was .27- negative
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
canker sores are not related to herpes at all.

you have a history of cold sores so you know you have hsv1 orally even though your testing isn't picking up on it. even the best herpes blood tests miss 1 out of every 10 hsv1 infections.

since you've had no obvious genital symptoms and your hsv2 igg is less than 5, not a bad idea to confirm your status with a herpes WB blood test. how to obtain one is listed in our read before posting post on the forum.  

I think your provider isn't really all that up to date on herpes testing either :(
Blank
Thanks Grace. Is 5 the magic number for true positive? I did go to the link for the western blot it shows a lab request form and the power point presentation. Wasnt really clear on do I call them to order the actual kit?  Sorry for the stupid question.
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
there are a few folks who will test false positive over that mark but the risk of a false positive goes down a lot over the 3.5 mark and even more so once you hit the 5 mark.  

yes, you can just give them a call for the kit :)
Blank
Grace- if we have done oral is there any chance he could catch it  
Blank
101028_tn?1348750963
a partner can contract hsv2 orally from performing oral sex but the risk of such is rather low.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Herpes Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...