I am positive but my boyfriend tested negative?
My boyfriend and I have been together for 7 years, having unprotected sex. I have HSV 1 and 2. I have had HSV1 since I was a child, getting cold sores periodically. I got HSV2 as a teenager. I still get cold sores but he has never had one. We both get genital outbreaks ever so often. Mine are very painful, his are not, but you can definitely see and smell them. I am nearing the end of my pregnancy and recently got on Valrex, so I wanted him to get on medicine so we can have sex and not worry about having an outbreak that could harm the baby.He got blood tests for both and it said he had HSV1 but not 2. How is this possible when he has symptoms of HVS2 and not 1, and I have both?
He could have HSV1 on his genitals.
But how does he have an HSV1 outbreak and then I get an HSV 2 outbreak? It just doesn't make sense.
First off - your partner doesn't need to be on valtrex.  You should be taking 500mg 2x/day for the last month of pregnancy to help reduce the odds of having an active lesion near the time of delivery so that you can deliver vaginally.  If it seems that having sex with your partner triggers a herpes ob for you, use condoms for the rest of your pregnancy because at this point, you don't have time to be figuring out just what is going on in each of you. That's something for post pregnancy to figure out.  Typically one partner's ob's do not trigger anothers to occur.  At this point your partner is testing negative for hsv2 so until proven otherwise, assume he really doesn't have it.  

How were you originally diagnosed as having hsv2?  What testing was done?

Next time your partner has a genital lesion, he'll need to go and be seen within 48 hours of its appearance for an exam and also a lesion culture and typing to see if indeed it is genital herpes going on. Perhaps the two of you are swapping something else back and forth but it'll take more follow up appointments to figure out what is going on.  

grace