Herpes Community
I am positive or not for herpes two?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I am positive or not for herpes two?

i had unprotected sex 14 weeks ago. i read the optimal time online to test online is 16 afterwards. however i tested borderline positive of .9i did herpes 2 igg. i did not test for herpes 1. my br took another sample to run cus im so borderline. do i have it? what is the chance that i do? i have no symptoms of rash or cold sores. my privates do not itch. my ex has nothing either however the girl he cheated on me with is now pregnant and had a yeast infection shortly after conception so im wondering if that was a possible outbreak. i tested negative for chlamydia hiv1 and 2 syphillis (syphilis) hepatitis and my pap smear(before sex with my ex) was normal. i have no foul smell etc. do i have herpes 2? is it sounding favourable that i dont have it? please please please help me!
under .9 was neg
.9-1 was borderline positive
1.1 and over is said to be pos
0.9 is a negative result. you waited enough time you don't have to doubt your status.

in the future, always make sure you are tested for hsv1 and hsv2 both 3 months after partners. it's important to know your status for both.

grace
thank you so much grace you just lifted a great weight off me. im no fan of my ex's mistress but i was concerned for her unborn. i will test for hsv 1 this month. so if im neg why didnt they just say that? i have the cold atm- would that obscure the results? in october 2012 i was .4, in march 2013 i was .6. june im .9. im noticing an steady increase. based on this increase would that mean anything i should worry about?i had chicken pox when i was a baby-can i be getting shingles?and thank you for your quick response.
some providers don't understand the equivocal range and don't know how to interpret the results when they fall into that category :(

why would you think you were getting shingles ?

the changes in your test results are actually fairly meaningless. they won't always stay the same. I wouldn't bother with any further testing. don't press your luck and risk a low positive that results in even more testing !
thank you so much again. what does equivocal mean?
does i saw online it means not pos nor neg. since im on the border of neg and pos im good to go?
you waited long enough so you are negative in that range.  since some folks test too early, the equivocal range is to remind providers to have them come back to test again.  
oh thanks. what is the minimum amount of time to test after potential exposure then? after one month accurate to show reliable results? im just asking for future reference.
or even 6-7 weeks? would results be accurate then for most women?
my gf who got tested with me got borderline as well but her last unprotected sexual encounter was 6-7 weeks ago she is estimating. are her results safe enough to conclude she is herpes 2 free? she did herpes 2 igg like myself and got .9 too from the same lab.
her sex was unprotected and both oral and vaginal
you have to wait at least 3 months post encounter for testing to be accurate.

I'll remove your other post that you also asked this in. let's keep it all in this post - thanks!
hi i repeated an igg test one week after the initial herpes test. the result is 2.07 out of 22 RU/ml. am i clean for sure now? the line read
Negative serological does not exclude the possibility of past hsv infection. but i got some weird swellings in my mouth. i havent had sex or anything in 7 months. was the last result accurate?
Yes that is a very low and negative reading, I assume for HSV2?

How long after last possible exposure was this test?
about seven months.
yes hsv two. not to be rude but are you a doctor or trained in this like grace? do not be offended. im just jittery months now.
i just cant understand how one week im borderline .9 out of 1.1 and the next week im 2.07 out of 22RU/ml. so annoying these labs. it was bad enough he was unfaithful but correct answers seem impossible here.
Grace has retired from the Board. I'm a volunteer with experience with herpes.

At 7 months post exposure you can be very confident that you are negative for HSV2. There was and remains I'm guessing no suspicion that your previous partners have HSV2, hence there appears to be no source either.
oh i did the tests like 14 weeks after exposure. then the second 15 weeks.  and the above results materialised. however i got a sore in my mouth that looks like the herpes pics and i had no sexually contact whatsoever in the past  seven months.
You are definitely negative for HSV2 in any location.

You have not tested for HSV1 so it is entirely feasible you have an oral infection from your youth, just like the bulk of the population.

Sores in side the mouth will tend to all look quite similar and be very hard to distinguish between ulcers, gum problems etc.
thank you so much for responding to me