Herpes Community
I tested positive for HSV2

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I tested positive for HSV2

I went online where I went to the private testing center and gave blood and urine.
I was diagnosed with HSV2 as I got 3.64 IGG test. My wife's test came back negative and I have not had sex with anyone since I was married.  I went to my primary care physician and he said he didn't think I had anything b/c he said the test can be inaccurate and I have never had outbreaks or any symptoms..  Are these tests accurate?  Is my Dr wrong?  He refereed me to a specialist to get more tests done to ease my mind but that appointment is 2 weeks later but I am freaking out.    
Hi. your 3.64 does fall under the false positive catagory and very well may be false positive. All you can do is retest and for hsv2 and the biokit is good as is hsv2 specific and is quite simple. Or go straight to he gold standard in testing which is the Western Blot.
thanks for the response.   I assume I can request from the specialist to give me the western blot test?  Also, wanted to add that I also tested negative for HSV1.
Any doctor can do it but is should be a different test than you had before for cross reference. The biokit is quicker.
From reading on here i read that the cutoff from false positive 3.5?  
Anything under 4 would be questionable. Most labs stop at 5 but can go much higher. So stopping at 5 is the key number.
thanks for all your responses.  I hope for the best.  My wife and I want to have another child so this is very tough on us.  I guess the stuff you do in college can always catch up too you...
And if you positive, with out a breakout, a blood test will not determine if its oral oral in the genital area but most likely would be genital.
My IDC specialist said I didn't need another test and I was positive and it was no big deal b/c i was not having any outbreaks or symptoms. To only come back if I have sores etc.  I told him that I was close to low positive and wanted to be retested with different test and he looked at me like i was clueless...

Also he said I am fine to have sex with my my wife b/c she is negative even though we had unprotected sex for the last 9-10 years. He said "if she has not got it by now she will not get it"  I don't get it. Can't I still infect her?

I am worried that if she gets a infection it will be new and could be bad for her with symptoms and OBs etc.. + we want to have a second baby asap so would have to be unprotected. forgot to mention she is positive for HSV1.
This might fit in the category of, why did I test?

There is a lot in what the doc says. What do you want to be different in your relationship and sex life knowing you have HSV2 versus before you knew? Your wife will test during pregnancy and you can make any decisions as required then for the safe arrival of a new baby.

Progressively the higher the number (assuming it is in a non climbing state following infection, obviously so for you) the less likely it is to be a false positive. For a reading of 3.64, then this is about a 5% chance. I think this would be increased by the the fact that you have had no symptoms and your wife is not infected after 9 years, but not massively.

There is also evidence that person with an infected partner can build a form of immunity in their skin due to the presence of the virus that does not then get through. Having HSV1 may also given some women a degree of immunity. Although rare, you may not shed the virus even if you are infected.

If you really want to know, you could try and obtain a Westernblot and allow that result to be conclusive. This can be done as a phone patient of Terri Warren as an example if you do not want to go back through your current doctors.