Herpes Community
I tested positive for Herpes 1 & 2, but my husband tested negative

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Last week I tested positive for Herpes 1 & 2.  My husband went this week to the doctor to get tested, and his test came back negative.  We've been married for over 6 years, could it be possible that my test was a false positive? Or his a false negative?  Today I went and picked up my results from my doctor, and I don't understand medical terminology.  Can someone please explain the below to me, if it makes any sense.  Is there no hope for me?  Should I get retested? I've never had an outbreak or any symptom at all.  Neither has my husband.  Could I have had this for over 5 years and not even know it, plus my husband never getting it?

HSV 1 IgG reported as 3.98 IV
HSV 2 IgG reported as 6.59 IV

Also, in my results it indicates "past HSV infection"  What does that mean? Can they really tell?

One last thing, we both went to different doctor's.

Help anyone!!
Tags: husband, herpes 1 2, my husband
A person can have Genital Herpes, and even cold sores, without experiencing any or at least noticeable symptoms.  It is possible that somewhere in your sexual history you contracted HSV-II but never showed symptoms.  Considering that you've only been with one partner for the past 6 years, and that he tested positive, you've had the infection for a number of years, which makes these test results quite reliable.  False positives are possible, but rare.  

If you are uncertain about your test results, you should get retested.  You may want to retest with another IgG test, or try a Western Blot.  Also, it is possible that your husband had a false negative, but once again unlikely.  It may just be that you never transferred the virus to him, especially if you two practice safe sex.

I am not an expert on the numbers of IgG tests (you can rely on Grace, the moderator of this forum), but you certainly did not test a low positive for HSV-2.  Did you get an IgM blood test as well?  Generally those are used to determine if an infection is new or longstanding.  IgMs are considered practically useless and unreliable in the medical community.  
Yes, I did receive an IgM blood test and it states reference range <1:20.  Also, both test say "past HSV infection"  

And no we do not practice safe sex, as we are married.

Based on my IgG test being so high, how could i have not passed the virus to him?  I don't get it.
You are + for hsv1 and hsv2 both.  Since hubby is testing negative that means that you had hsv2 since before you met him. did you have other sexual partners before you met him?

How could you have been infected since before him and not transmitted it to him? It really isn't as easy to transmit as it seems it should be.

So what do you do now? Well that's up to you and your hubby. If you want, you can start daily suppressive therapy to help lower the odds of transmitting the virus to him even more. You also can just continue like you have been but just make sure to avoid sex anytime you feel anything going on genitally like itching, redness etc.  If you plan to have a family at any point, return to the forum at that time and we can help you with herpes during pregnancy too.

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a free and terrific resource for both of you to read for more info.

grace