Herpes Community
IGg test results: Hsv1: 4.5 Hsv2: 2.5, IGm 1.46

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Should I get a western blot to confirm hsv2. I am a 46 year old female with no history of lesions, and had a breakout for the first time in my life three weeks ago, while under only moderate stress. Been married for 17 years, have three children, husband has no history of breakouts, we are shocked that this could be dormant for 20 years and then show up. I dated a man with hsv1 20 years ago. But wasn't aware of any partners having hsv2.
Did you have a culture done of your symptoms? If not, and if you've never been tested prior to this to know your herpes status, you don't know for certain what you had was a herpes outbreak.  

Based on your IgG results (disregard the IgM, it's pretty much worthless in diagnosign herpes) - yes your HSV2 is a low positive and would need confirmatory testing, unless again you had a swab/culture that would prove it to be positive. I'd suggest your husband get tested as well with an IgG type specific blood test. Indeed, either of you could have had herpes for years and not known, and it could have come from a prior partner on either side. Your HSV1 result is not surprising as the vast majority of adults have oral herpes, while most never have symptoms.
I did not have a culture done because I couldn't get into the Drs before the lesions healed, but it did follow the typical events that I've read about. I had a long 3 week prodrome of sensitivity on my leg, then excrutiating nerve pain for three days, then half a dozen little bumps that looked like pimples on one side of my perineal area. The Dr felt pretty confident that it was herpes despite never having had an outbreak before. My husband is going to get tested. If he's positive I guess we have our answer. If he's not, then I will probably get some sort of confirmatory testing. I'm absolutely devastated. Thankfully, my husband is so understanding. I just pray I haven't given it to him during this breakout, since we engaged in sexual activity during the time my leg was sensitive.
once hubby has his test results back you will have better answers.

did they also test you for vaginal infections when you were seen by your provider?

grace
She checked everything else, but didn't say one way or another. I really wasn't having any other problems and everything had healed quickly except for some lingering itching and intermittent nerve problems.
Still waiting on husbands reports. My doctor told me she had never had a patient that had not ever had any sort of outbreak before, especially during pregnancies and difficult childbirths like I had. She said that most people just didn't know what to look for and once she explained that it could mimic a yeast infection or small tears then they realized they had had outbreaks. Except for occassional nerve pain off and on I've never had any problems like that. And since I'm a runner, I assumed the nerve pain was associated with running. What are the odds that he would not have caught it in 20 years of totally unprotected sex? What are the odds that one of us would not have had an outbreak in 20 years?
It's not unusual to not contract it from your partner.

at this point wait for his results. If he tests negative then confirm your status with a 2nd test since you didn't have a lesion culture done.  nerve pain for 3 weeks prior to any lesions and then multiple lesions as you've described would be unusual for a recurrence especially without having any vaginitis going on or anything else to complicate things.

grace
Husbands results show HSV1 >5 and HSV2 <.90 so he's negative for type 2 and we are both positive for type 1. I went in to get a western blot today, so now I'm back to waiting for at least a week.
count on at least 2 weeks if not longer. only 1 lab in the entire US does herpes western blots so it usually takes awhile.

grace
Received Western Blot results yesterday. HSV1 positive, HSV2 negative. It appears the first test was a false positive. The only thing that worries me is that my doctor said I may want to retest in 3 months because it could take that long for antibodies to show up. But my husband is negative and I haven't had sex with anyone but him for 20 years, so is she implying that I'm cheating on him or is there some possibility that I could still show up with type 2?
if neither you nor your hubby have had any other partners in the last few months, absolutely no reason to repeat your testing.    either your provider isn't thinking clearly or yes indeed she is assuming either you are lying or your hubby is.  

grace