Herpes Community
If I have genital hsv 1 can I pass it to my partner performing oral sex...

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

If I have genital hsv 1 can I pass it to my partner performing oral sex on him?

I was recently diagnosed with genital HSV 1 how I got from someone who I assume had oral HSV1 but was unaware of it and he performed oral sex on me.  My question is now that I have genital HSV1 can I pass it on to my new partner by performing oral sex on him?  I do not have oral HSV 1.  He does not have HSV at all.
unless you get obvious cold sores, no easy way to know if you also contracted hsv1 orally when you contracted it genitallty. what few studies we have on it show that anywhere from 1/4 - 2/3's of folks contract it orally and genitally both when they have it genitally.  Since most folks who contract hsv1 orally dont' get obvious cold sores to know it, it's not always easy to determine your oral hsv1 status.  

discuss with your future partners their herpes status as well as other std's. Since you can still contract hsv2, them getting tested to know their herpes status is in your best interest.  once you know their status, together you can make decisions as to what precautions you want to take including if you want to have protected oral sex or not just in case you do have hsv1 orally too.

grace