Herpes Expert Forum
If I have herpetic whitlow, does it spread from contact on myself?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

I went to the doctor two days ago with several itchy spots on my hand.  He said he thought it was herpetic whitlow, but would not know until blood work came back next week.  He prescribed an antiviral medicine and some codine cough syrup for pain.  I also had a respitory infection.  Now after two days of meds, both hands are covered in panful itchy spots, my toes and bottom of feet are now covered, my nose is breaking out, bottoms of earlobes are getting spots, spots now forming on my legs and butt cheeks and it seems to be starting to work up my wrist and arms.  Kind of freaking out.  I've never had genital herpes or cold sores.  Two sexual partners in past twenty years and no sex in four years.  Does herpetic whitlow spread to touched areas?  I can't find anything that says it spreads all over, just hands, rarely feet and nose, but no mention of contact spreading it to other areas.  I'm scared to pee or wipe my butt!  Does this sound like Herpetic Whitlow or should I go to the ER today for further diagnostics?  Should I quarantine myself??  I'm travelling for work and can't interact with customers if I'm covered with herpes but I'm scared to go home and spread to my kids.  Any recommendations for treatment?  How long should this last and any recommendations for SUPER foods to boost my immune sytem to fight this stuff?
This sounds NOTHING like herpes to me.  I would strongly, very strongly, encourage you to see a second opinion from a dermatologist or go back to the same doc.  A swab test should have been taken from your hand to begin with if they suspected herpes.  But now he should be able to see that this skin rash is NOT consistent with herpetic whitlow.  

You don't need herpes meds, I don't think, you need another opinion.  Go NOW

Terri