Herpes Community
If i get cold sores can i get genital herpes from oral sex?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Okay, my girlfriend has a cold sore. She's had cold sores since she was a kid. I've had cold sores since I was a kid. Her cold sore is pretty much gone, its just a scab now. She just gave me some pretty serious oral sex. The only reason I agreed to it is because I've read before that if you've had oral herpes for a long time you can't get genital herpes from someone with a cold sore (through oral sex).

Is this true? How much at risk am I?
I just thought I'd add that I've been taking Vitamin C 1000mg every day for 7 months now. So my immune system should be pretty straight.
vitamin c doesn't really do a lot for your immune system as far as warding off std's .  it has no effect at all on herpes.

when you have an active cold sore, you should avoid performing oral on a partner, even if they have hsv1 orally themselves.  There's a teeny risk of transmitting hsv1 to your partner's genitals but more so is the risk to yourself!  You risk delaying healing of the skin from the "trauma" of performing oral. also what is normal bacteria in the genital area, isn't always so normal around the mouth or in open wounds in the skin so it can cause you to have a secondary infection. always avoid oral until the scab has fallen off and the mouth skin is normal.

is this a real reason to worry for you from this encounter? no it isn't, just learn from it for the future protection of your both :)

grace
Okay, thanks. Basically what your saying is that its nearly impossible but the risk is still there, right? That's what I figured. I went straight to the bathroom and showered my genital area because I heard that decreases the risk.

I appreciate your help.
washing up afterwards doesn't decrease the risk at all - just makes you less sticky. std's are transmitted during the sex act itself, they don't lay around on the skin to work their way down and infect you.
Is it nearly impossible? I would like to know that it is because I'm in the exact situation
No, It is not nearly impossible. I've been doing tons of research lately and everything I've read has said that HSV1 can be transmitted to the gentials through oral sex. I'm experiencing that now. My bf hasn't had a cold sore for a few months but I had to go to the ER and get tested for herpes. I'm unsure about my results, but everything I've read has said it can happen. So many articles are saying the new type of genital herpes is HSV1 because of young adults engaging in oral sex. Almost everyone has the herpes simplex, and it can be spread to someone elses genitals, even though the person with the simplex has no symptoms of an outbreak or coldsore.