Herpes Community
IgG & IgM Blood Test
About This Community:

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

IgG & IgM Blood Test

One week after unprotected oral sex, I had a blood test at Planned Parenthood that came back positive (IgG) for HSV-1.  They told me that this test is indicitive of my status BEFORE the incident (where I'm concerned I may have contracted genital herpes).  Ten days after the incident a doctor suggested I have an IgM blood test for HSV-1, to find out if I have NEW antibodies for HSV-1.  I have subsequently had two IgM blood tests, at 10 days past the incident, and 23 days after the incident.  Both came back negative.

Three questions:

1)  Is one week early enough to accept that my positive IgG blood test results for HSV-1 were DEFINITELY before the incident of unprotected oral sex?

2)  If I was already positive for HSV-1 (orally) and I contracted HSV-1 genitally, would my body just produce extra IgG antibodies, or both IgG AND IgM antibodies, since the virus is in a new location?

3)  Since I already had antibodies for HSV-1 (although I've never had a cold sore as far as I remember), shouldn't I be partially protected against getting HSV-1 genitally?

Thank you!!!