IgG & IgM Blood Test
One week after unprotected oral sex, I had a blood test at Planned Parenthood that came back positive (IgG) for HSV-1.  They told me that this test is indicitive of my status BEFORE the incident (where I'm concerned I may have contracted genital herpes).  Ten days after the incident a doctor suggested I have an IgM blood test for HSV-1, to find out if I have NEW antibodies for HSV-1.  I have subsequently had two IgM blood tests, at 10 days past the incident, and 23 days after the incident.  Both came back negative.

Three questions:

1)  Is one week early enough to accept that my positive IgG blood test results for HSV-1 were DEFINITELY before the incident of unprotected oral sex?

2)  If I was already positive for HSV-1 (orally) and I contracted HSV-1 genitally, would my body just produce extra IgG antibodies, or both IgG AND IgM antibodies, since the virus is in a new location?

3)  Since I already had antibodies for HSV-1 (although I've never had a cold sore as far as I remember), shouldn't I be partially protected against getting HSV-1 genitally?

Thank you!!!
no obvious symptoms and there's no reason to test for herpes after receiving oral sex. You had a blood test that showed that you had hsv1 previously already. Unless you get an obvious lesion in the genital area to culture, blood tests at this point are completely useless for you since it's incredibly unlikely that you'd get hsv2 from receiving oral sex.

The igm test is a poor test in general for herpes and no provider should be talking you into paying for it ever again in situations like this.

You have no need for any further testing. Now that you are aware of your own hsv1 status, even if you can't recall ever having any obvious cold sores, this is something to discuss with future partners.

grace