Herpes Community
IgM Test

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

IgM Test

I am a 26 year old male who has been married for 3 years and has only ever been sexually active with my wife.  My wife had once been active without protection (about 5 years ago) and gotten pregnant from it.  She was tested by her gyno because of her unwed state.  I recently had a surprise rash on my nether-regions (wasn't painful, didn't ooze, had bumps one day and must have scratched in my sleep because the very next morning I had small scabs instead of bumps).  I have rashes often and have battled exzema (eczema) all my life so I ignored the rash.  The next morning (morning I had scabs) I had a sore lymph node in my groin so I made an appointment with my doctor.  The doctor told me that it appeared to be herpes or could possibly be shingles and so he ordered an IGG and an IGM test.  As someone who had been sexually responsible all of his life this scared me, so when the results did come right away I researched and found that I could order them through a Quest app.  After reading up on herpes and shingles I felt better because the only thing I had in common with them was the location.  I had no flu symptoms, no pain from the rash, no oozing, no crusting.  My doctor would call me a few days later (actually a nurse did) and inform me that I tested positive for herpes and need to take medication immediately.  I was devistated and pissed, I was angry with my wife, angry with myself.  The next day I recieved an email that my test results were available and I looked at them (I have an issue with trusting doctors).  I read the results and found out that both the HSV-1 and HSV-2 IGG tests came back negative.  The IGM test came back detected with a 1:10 "Titer".  Now I became upset with the fact that I was not informed that one test came up negative and the other came up positive.  Than I research and find out that the IGM test is "useless" and can come back positive from a variety of other illnesses.  Fortunately for my doc his office is closed because I have a few choice words for him.  My question is: If my wife did have the virus all this time and we have been sexually active for the last 3+ years (even have a daughter that turns 1 in 2 days), what are the chances that I just recieved it from her, therefore making the IGG tests come back negative?
if this is a newly acquired infection, it might not show up in your igg testing for weeks/months.

at this point, your wife should seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test herself to see what her status is. odds are herpes was not included in her testing previously.  

they didn't do any lesion cultures of symptoms?

encourage your provider to read the 2010 cdc herpes guidelines to better educate themselves on herpes testing.

grace
No he didn't do any lesion cultures, just ordered the blood test.  Is it possible to be with someone who has herpes for 3 years and not contract it until now?  Do they test for it in pap's?
And thank you for your quick reply!
you could've been with her for a lifetime and never contracted either oral or genital herpes actually. it's really not as contagious as folks assume it is.

a pap test looks for abnormal cervical cells. it's not std testing.