Herpes Community
Igm tested positive twice for hsv2 is this my final answer?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi Grace,

Two weeks ago I had blood tests done 4 days after recent exposure (unprotected sex) it came back positive for Igg for hsv1 which I wasn't surprised about in high school and as a kid I would sometimes get cold sores and had chicken pox. However the dr. Told me for igg hsv2 I was negative, but for igm which was hsv2 specific I was "weak" positive. I have never felt so sick in my entire life. She told me it was pretty definite I had contracted hsv2, she told me I could come in again in a week to retest. So I went again one week later and yesterday she tells me my results were exactly the same as before igm weak positive. She said I definitely had hsv2 but if I wanted to continue testing she could look into it. Also I want to mention I have been freaking out about everything I had a couple of red dots on my butt that looks like follicles and would normally think nothing of and I had them cultured they came back negative. I have been examining myself everyday looking for anything. The dr put me on valtrex after my first test came back and I had some back pain when I started taking it at my tailbone. Also started taking a lot of vitamins. The other weird feeling I have is this tingling feeling like I have to pee. I thought I might have had a bladder infection because I get them often but the test came back negative for both. I have been going to the bathroom like 10 times a day feeling like I have to pee but then hardly anything. I had this once before and thought it was a bladder infection but it wasn't and then I got my period and felt better. I also need to mention I haven't had my period for almost 2 months. I took a pregnancy test blood test and I'm not pregnant. I also took the morning after pill after my unprotected sex. This has completely consumed me I am so utterly depressed I can't eat I can't sleep. They told me it is recent also and I keep going back in my mind and thinking of being itchy in the past or seeing a bump near my but or area. I told my dr. I wanted to do more testing over time but I just can't stop thinking about how she sounded on the phone like it was judgement day and this was my final verdict. I have never felt so much stress and anxiety in my entire life. And I can't stand this feeling like I need to pee all the time. Please help. I feel so lost and alone.
Meant to day test for bladder/ uti and yeast infection came back negative however urge to pee feeling has gotten worse since than which was last week
Meant to say*
your provider needs to update their herpes testing knowledge!!!

herpes igm testing is not recommended for adults. there was no reason to tell you that you had herpes based on a + igm nor was there a reason to start you on valtrex.  

testing for chlamydia, gonorrhea and trich was ok at the 4 day mark. it was far too early to test for anything else. at this point, stop all valtrex and wait until 3 months post encounter and seek out a type specific herpes igg blood test to see what your hsv2 status is.

grace
Thanks for your response Grace! I don't want to give myself false hope but is it possible to not have recently contracted hsv2 and be positive for igm testing? I have read a lot of bad things about the test but when I told my dr. this, she argued that the igm was indeed type 2 specific and she was convinced I had just contracted it. I told her I read the test could not differentiate between 1 and 2 and she said I'm wrong. This is so scary also feeling a lot of shooting pain in my body in back legs and arms not sure if this from valtrex or not because I heard valtrex only stays in your system for 2-3 hours. Is there anything you make of my other symptom- feeling like I have a bladder infection and not getting my period? Any additional views you could provide would be greatly appreciated this is really weighing down heavy on me. Thank you
Also wanted to re-clarify I had two tests done where igg was negative and igm was "weak"positive twice. That was why my dr.seemed so sure it was not  2 false positives.
One more question about valtrex, if she started me a week and a half after exposure could that completely have prevented me from having a primary outbreak if I was infected?
they do have type specific herpes igm tests but they still have the same false positive issues which is why they also aren't recommended.  it's actually malpractice at this point to tell someone they have herpes based on a + igm.

yes you could've had a much milder ob if you started valtrex early but it's not likely you even have herpes.

plan b can cause some messed up hormone issues too.
Is shooting pain up and down your back / legs/ arms normal with hsv2? I keep having these pains, and then today and yesterday I noticed my knuckles on my hands were a blue/grey color. It's so hard to wait to retest, I think I may split it up and retest at 5 weeks and then again at 2 months, and then 3 months. This is making me feel absolutely crazy. My bladder has seemed to subside slightly though, but these jabbing pains are awful.
Thanks for all of your support/wisdom Grace, I really hope you are right and this IGM is just madness.
no reason for so much testing. all it does is waste money.

see your provider for all your symptoms.  
Just wondering can anyone tell me what the muscle pains are like, or how common they are with hsv2? And do a lot of women get them? I just got my period so I would like to attribute these pains to that but I'm not sure. It is really hard waiting and waiting to take this test again wondering about the igm..
Hi Grace/ Anyone else who can help,

So it is almost a month now since my last exposure. I am planning on going to the Dr. 5 weeks from exp. for another test. I am really wondering about the pains associated with HSV2 though. I really haven't had any symptoms (knock on wood) besides having sharp "stabbing" pains. I get them at my butt, down my legs to my feet, mostly on the right side. (Sometimes I get the sharp pains in other spots like my hip, back or chest). I read that a lot of people have groin pain and inflamed groins. I don't really have this, but when I apply pressure to my stomach and bladder it sort of ignites the pain in my back. Is this the sort of pain people have with HSV2 or could it be something else? (I have a lot of neck/nerve problems also- it just seems so coincidental to be getting this now 3 weeks after doctor told me about my test) I have been on Valtrex for 3 weeks now, I am wondering if this has anything to do with it. How long does the hsv2 pain usually last for people? This pain keeps coming and going sharply lasting seconds at a time.
these would only occur a day or two before you had obvious lesions.

if you are having pain, be seen for a proper exam.

honestly I'd stop the valtrex. no reason to be on it and if you really did contract herpes from the encounter in question it could interfere with getting accurate blood testing 3 months post encounter.
I have the pain for about a week, no lesions so far. Do people usually have pain like that? Would it be more of an ache or is it sharp pains? I hate obsessing about everything because of this. Normally I would just associate this with working hard or my neck problems, but ow I am associating everything to hsv2.
no they do not.

stop obsessing. stop the valtrex.  encourage your provider to update their herpes testing knowledge so that they aren't adding to your anxiety.
Hi Grace,

One more question for you. I know I am supposed to stop obsessing but.. I am going to make a dr.s appt for tomorrow because the bladder thing is back, can't empty bladder fully, and lower back pain. I tested negative for Chlamydia 4 days after exposure and then a week and half after exposure. Should I get retested for this? The lower back pain and the bladder thing are freaking me out that I might have this. Please let me know. Thank you so much!!
going to be seen again for these symptoms if the best course of action at this point. they can do some basic urine testing right there in the office and based on results, can decide if it's worth repeating testing or not.
So I went to the Dr. today ( had to go to urgent care at a different office bc my insurance changed). They tested for some stds again, but not hsv. She did a urine culture and told me just by looking at it she could tell there was white blood cells. But then when she did the UTI test she said there were white blood cells, but not a lot of them. She told me she was treating me for a UTI and put me on antibiotics. Now I will just wait for the other tests. She also did a cervical exam  to see if I had PID, which she said I didn't. I am just very nervous about these pains. My lower back hurts and my stomach under and above my belly button hurt with any pressure. And I am still getting shots of pain in my legs, ribs, upper back, arms, feet, hands. I just hope this is not an STD. This is so scary. I wish I never had sex.
when they did your exam, did they test for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally too?

I'm pretty sure she tested for bacterial, but I don't think she did yeast. Don't have too many of the yeast symptoms. I was doing a lot of research last night on HSV2 and how it can affect your nerves and it makes me wonder if that's what could be causing these shooting, pinching pains? I also did a lot of research on anxiety which does some amazingly scary things like this as well (even bladder issues). The other thing I have been doing is taking a lot of different vitamins everyday which I am going to stop because I think this could be causing some issues as well. Still no lesions, off of Valtrex for 5 days, just have these shocks of pain, and some upper and lower back pain. Last night and today I had a metal taste in my mouth but I think it was from my antibiotic and taking it with my vitamins.  I also had a lot of pins and needles in my hands and feet (which could be a side effect from antibiotic- it is listed). I hate waiting, I just want this to be over. I feel like I have the plague or something. I have become absolutely terrified of acquiring a disease. Honestly I don't know how I am going to go on living everyday like this, it is a nightmare.
Also feel like there is a lot of gas/air in my stomach and having  some bowel issues (diarrhea) not going to the bathroom every hour or anything, but still.
Not sure if this is again from the vitamins/ antibiotics or what. I haven't been eating a lot so I know it's not from something I ate. Also both times I had it, I had the metal taste in my mouth.
this is a side effect of being on antibiotics.

continue to be seen for your other symptoms.
Update:

Dr. called me this week and told me my Urine Culture came back positive for a UTI and negative culture for ghon/chlamyd.  Still on antibiotics, Nitrofurantoin. Had blood tests done on Monday night for syphili, hsv, and hiv, and some other stuff too. Igg cam back positive for hsv type 1, and negative for hsv type 2. Everything else was negative/normal. This was after for weeks and a day or two. I know it is still early, but I am dying her. Does this mean it is less likely that I have hsv2. I am still scared. But I feel like if the igm test had an validity as my dr. said (although I know better now, thnx Grace)  wouldn't the igg show up sooner, because the igm showed up only 4 days after exposure?  I will continue to get tested for this, but I hope 4 weeks and negative is a good sign. Still have these pains, and will go back to Dr. this weekend if they persist or worsen to check my kidney. As always thanks for your support Grace, you and this forum have given me hope and good advice/answers. If I didn't have that I would have just assumed my Dr. was right and I have hsv2, which hopefully isn't so.
*Meant to write blood tests were done Monday after 4 weeks and a day or 2 from exposure*
Hi Grace,

I have another question. I looked at my dates again and I only took the valtrex for about 9 days. I had taken it a week and a half after exposure. And then stopped taking it. Will this definitely affect the outcome of my blood tests??
Also noticed the bumps on my butt, keep coming back, they are red and look like they are folliculitis or something with the follicle. They don't hurt, and they don't look like classic hsv2. Except there are a few that are near eachother, and I started freaking out that it was a cluster or something. But they don't look like blisters. I am still on the antibiotic for my bladder, but I started taking probiotics on top of that which has helped a little. This will be week 6 of this nightmare. I would really like to re-test week 7 or 8. This is driving me crazy.
Hi Grace,

Sorry for so many posts. I am going to the doctor again tomorrow to have them check out the bumps on my butt. At first they were just raised red bumps- kind of like a bug bite or something and then ofcourse I picked at them and now they are scabbed, but still extremely swollen which is what is freaking me out because usually if I have a follicle and pick at it or it scabs over the bump will go down like the next day. This has been raised/swollen for 2 days now. And I have 1 or 2 that are on different spots over my butt, but the ones that really concern me are in almost a ring or curved line and very swollen. They hurt if I put pressure on them. But I am wondering does this sound like how the blisters start before they turn into sores? Or does this sound like something else? Also if you could let me know about the valtrex thing... based on the length I took it - 9 days a week and half after exposure, I would really, really appreciate it.  Are their people that have outbreaks just on their butts like this? And how likely is it this would occur over 5 weeks after exposure?
Went to the Doctor this morning, she said the bumps were not hsv, they are not swollen anymore. Still wondering about the valtrex thing though.
9 days of valtrex isn't an issue.
Sounds A LOT LIKE YOU HAVE A KIDNEY STONE !!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY
Hi Grace,

Just wanted to update, I got tested again just a few days shy of 8 weeks, the test is still negative. I saw my Dr. and he told me all of my symptoms are psychosomatic from all my stress and anxiety over this. He said I most likely would have converted by now but if I want 100% peace of mind I can come back in a few weeks at the 11 or 12 week mark. I was wondering though what is the percentage of people that convert by 8 weeks? The doctor told me like 95% of people convert by then, but I had trouble finding this info online. Thank you again for all of your advice. This has surely been a mental ordeal for me and opened my eyes a lot.
a little less than 2/3's of folks will seroconvert by then.

if you need something to keep your mind off of things, come to my house and paint :)  I've been planning on doing it for 2 years now and just can't make myself do it...lol  I cook so you'll eat well :)  
Wow really? But that is only like 60%, I thought half of people are positive after 2-4 weeks, so shouldn't be a higher number at 8 weeks? I will have to test again at 10 weeks because my health ins. is changing and I don't know if I will be covered at 12. How accurate would 10 weeks be?
Btw, I went again to the doctor to get the bumps on my bottom checked she told me it was folliculitus (folliculitis) and could be bacterial folliculitus (folliculitis) since I don't get them this often and for so long. She put me on medicine and a cream.
gllad you are finally getting answers :)
So next week will be 12 weeks. I have been trying to keep busy and stay off the computer and keep my mind off of this, but mentally I am feeling more and more burdened everyday with this. I have become a complete hypochondriac which used to be the furthest thing from my personality. I keep  thinking about what happened over and over in mind, and I tried to ask the guy from the beginning when he was last tested and when he last had unprotected sex. He told me "Don't worry I never had an std and I never will." I kept trying to ask him when he was tested and if he could have had been with someone right before me who infected him and he refused to tell me and just said things like "well if I have anything to worry about it is from you."  The sad thing is before this ******* I was in a great relationship and hadn't been with anyone else for 7 years. And I hope to be with that person again someday. But this whole thing has caused me so much damage emotionally and the fact that this guy could with-hold information like that, I mean if someone outright asks you that how could you not tell them?  I keep trying to keep calm until next week but this IGM test has forced me to be completely paranoid and turned my life upside down. Hopefully if any positive comes out of this it will be that I never want to have sex or anything with someone I don't know and love. I just hope I can move on from this, and that after 12 weeks I can have closure, and not  keep retesting.
have you considered talking to a professional about this anxiety?  Sometimes having a stranger guide you through this and suggest ways to deal with anxiety better is helpful to move forward as well as gives you skills to use in the future in stressful situations.
Yes I have been thinking about doing this as well, but I know so much of the anxiety is also not knowing. How accurate will the tests be at 11 or 12 weeks? Do you think I could stop testing at that point? Thank you Grace
yes, test then and move forward.
Ok I'm dealing with the same low positive test right now, not sure whether it's igg and igm. But here are my recs:
--> stop trying to use igm or igg tests! the most conclusive test by far is the western blot test. Only one lab does it but it's remarkably accurate. The problem with both igm and igg is that low positives have been proven to be quite inaccurate particularly in populations with low incidence (read, if you are someone going in and being routinely tested rather than someone going in because of symptoms)
--> stop freaking out, look up Herpes 2 symptoms and see that many people live with it quite healthily even if you do have it. Realize that an awful lot of your symptoms including nerve pain and feeling you need to pee or whatever are all psychosomatic symptoms!!! You are literally driving yourself sick because you are looking for things wrong with you. Whatever you have, you have, and as long as you are not sexually active you cannot do harm to others, so try to relax first and foremost

I am testing with IGG, which has been negative every time. The last time I tested was 8 weeks, the reason I have been having all this in the first place was because my obgyn did an igm which came back "weak positive" twice within 4 days. As far as I know and have read, the IGG is a very accurate test. I think western blot is for people who have symptoms or have had an IGG positive test. So I will not likely use a western blot. Next week is 12 weeks since exposure so I will test then.
You should really start your own thread.
So I have been so stressed as the days get closer and closer to 12 weeks. I reached out in a last ditch effort to the guy that I was exposed to in the first place, to see if he would finally tell me if he got tested and what his results were. Well he told me he absolutely does not have anything and never did. I kept asking and asking if he had gotten test because he would not give me a direct answer. And finally this is what he says " I have been tested multiple times throughout my life and they have all been negative"  I asked if he had tested recently and was sure there was no way he could have given me anything and he said " Not a chance I did." He also went on to say he takes this all very seriously, which I find hard to believe since it still sounds like he never got tested. And do most people not even have symptoms? I am literally counting the days until next week so this can be over. What percentage of people know by 12 weeks from Igg, it's not likely I would be one of the ones it takes 4-6 months right?
don't allow this to be an obsession. just not worth it. keep busy until it's time to test - ask your friends to help you keep your mind off things :)
Thanks Grace
Hi Grace,

So I just got my results back. I tested Monday night, it will be 12 weeks EXACTLY on Thursday so I was shy about 2 days. My results were NEGATIVE for HSV2. Does this mean I am in the clear, can I move on with my life? Or should I worry at all about the possibility of delayed antibodies- (maybe from the short time I took valtrex)? I would really like to say I know I don't have this now, I definitely don't feel like I have it. It was just very hard to put what the Dr. said about the igm test behind, especially because I was arguing with a diff. doc on Monday who was also telling me how the igm is 100% accurate. Where are these professionals getting their information?? Anyway please let me know what you think! Thank you so much for dealing with me through this, you really, really helped me.
most providers never get updated on herpes :(  Since it's not a real health risk for adults, just an annoyance, they don't bother to take the time to update their knowledge.  

yes, time to move forward!! congrats on testing negative!!!

So I called my original provider who was the one who did the igm test. I just wanted to tell her I was negative, and that she should update her testing or at the very least be sure not to tell the next person that igm test is 100% like she told me. So when I called her she had completely changed her story. She apologized to me saying that she didn't mean to tell me that the igm test was definite. She also told me she was considering stopping it because she had given it to many people that came out positive on it and out of all of them only one person was truly positive. I hope that no one else has to go through this again! Thanks for everything Grace!
glad your provider is updating her info to better serve her patients and to protect herself from malpractice suits!!!
Hi Grace,

I know you really shouldn't be hearing from me again and I should be totally worry free. And I am for the most part... I recently changed insurance so I decided to get a 4 month test before I switched over, everything was negative. But I was just wondering is it true that people who already have HSV1 take longer to convert, like up to 6 months. For the most part I feel like I'm fine but there is still that stupid little Doctors voice in the back of my head about the igm. Just curious what percent would take longer than 4 months. Thanks as always and I promise no more messages after this!!!
some people do take longer when they have hsv1 but the vast majority of them do test accurately at the 4 month mark. honestly, I'd put your worries to bed :)
I know your comment was awhile ago. If I were you, I'd get a second opinion. Having a "weak" negative, doesn't make you a "weak" positive. if you are below 1.0 on your results, you are neg.. The other symptoms  you think  you  might have are all psychosomatic and anxiety. If you are  really worried, I'd go to a  specialist and get a second opinion. I really don't think you have HSV2, and 80% of the population has HSV1, it's no big deal.