Herpes Community
I'm so confused HELP!

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I'm so confused HELP!

Hello! On April of this year (2012) I went to the clinic for my regular pap exam. My doctor asked me if I wanted a full STD exam and I said yes. She notice that I had a yeast infection and treated me for that. She told me if they were to find anything they would call me to schedule an appointment to come in and go over the results. So six months go by and I haven't heard from her. I'm thinking everything is okay. I then scheduled an appointment to have my IUD put in and she still didn't say anything. So this past Thursday, when I went in to get the string on my IUD check, I had asked her about my results because I haven't heard anything from her. She read me my results and everything was negative except for my herpes results. It read HSV 2 IgG 11.60. I had read and told that the number was too high and my doctor might have ordered the wrong test and I should go somewhere else to have it re-tested. It was kind of strange that she didn't call me and let me now I was positive. I have never had any symptoms other than a yeast infection. Should I get re-tested or do you think my results are accurate.
that isn't "too high" of a result. it's just a positive result.

do you recall what your hsv1 result was?

I'd also write a letter of complaint to the clinic that you weren't informed of your results in a timely manner.  this was bad medicine :(

grace
The test results only show my HSV 2 and no HSV 1.That was kind of strange to me also how I wasn't called about this. My new partner that I was with has broken up with me because of this. We had sex twice and the second time we had sex the condom broke and we continued to have sex. I don't know if he could have caught the virus or not.
Hey grace! I just found out that my mother has herpes and so does all my siblings. By me being born with it and never had any symptoms as an adult, can I still pass it to my partners.
you weren't born with herpes!!!!  this isn't something you got from your mother showing up on your blood test.

have you read the herpes handbook that we recommend in our read before posting post on the forum?

I'd just double check monday to make sure that that is definitely hsv2 testing and not a combined hsv1/2 test result. you will also need tested for hsv1 to know your hsv1 status too.
I read the book and I thought it said it can b passed to the baby if the mother has it. I got q copy of my results and it doesn't say that hsv1 and hsv2 is combined. My doctor acts like I'm bothering her about my results. I'm going to go to a lab to get tested again. The clinic I go to now is a small hospital and clinic combined. I really think my results got mixed up with someone else's results. O will keep u postednon the outcome.
you would've been quite ill soon after birth and required hospitalization for herpes if you had contracted it during birth from your mom.  

My partner has tested negative on his test. I am very confused about this. I'm going to go and get tested again with another doctor. Thanks grace for all the good feedback. I'm very confused about this and depressed because I have lost the love of my life because of this. If the next test I take comes back negative,  I'm going to do some very big complaining to that office. I'm going to file a complaint.!
call the clinic to get a copy of the results to post here so we can be sure you had type specific testing and not combined testing.
I have the copy. What I posted on here was my results. It did not show a hsv1. It just said hsv2 11.60.
ok then if it was just hsv2 igg testing, it was the right testing.  you should also pursue hsv1 testing at some point to know your hsv1 status too.

if you need peace of mind you can seek out a herpes WB blood test but really no reason to doubt a hsv2 igg with that result.

do you have a regular partner?

keep asking questions!!!
Yes I do have a regular partner and he tested negative on his results. We have had unprotected sex at least 6 times. We been together for a year now. I was thinking that I could have gotten it from my kids dad around the time he gave me chlamydia. I did have a bad itching then but my doctor said it was chlamydia. That was over 3 years ago. They gave me meds and I have never had another symptom like that again, other than yeast infections because I am pre diabetic, so I get a lot of those. But other than that, my partner (ex partner now) test was negative.
I had been researching about the WB but my insurance does not cover that. Is that the only test that's out here that can break it down like the WB test?

Thanks grace!
Hey grace! I wanted to give you a follow-up on my second test results. I went to another doctor to get tested. My results for my HSV 1 and HSV 2 came back negative. They must have gotten my results mixed up with someone else's results.

I'm going to call the other clinic to find out how to file a complaint. I never had this happened before, but I need to let them know that not only have I been giving the wrong results but I was asking not notified in a timely manner.

Thanks for all the good help and timely response grace...
that's a huge difference in test results. Not sure I'd assume that your test results were switched with someone else.

I'd wait another month and repeat your herpes testing just to be sure if you can't obtain a herpes WB.  
I went to a totally different location (clinic) than I got my first test. It had to have been a mix up because one clinic said I have it and another clinic said I didn't for both HSV1/2. What are the odds of that happening. How can a test result be high one test and so low the next?
well each test is different.  there can be false positives with results that high but the risk of such is so low that it's worth repeating your igg blood testing one more time.  make sure both tests were igg blood testing done too.
Okay I will do it next month.

Thanks grace! :-)
I just got a copy of my second test and it reads as follow:

HSV 1 and HSV 2 IgM Abs, Indirect

HSV 1 IgM Antibodies. <1:10 titer
        HSV 2 IgM Antibodies. <1:10 titer

Is that a good test that I've taken?
no, that was the wrong testing that was done :(  we never recommend herpes igm testing.
What's wrong with those kind of tests?
they have a high false positive rate, a decent false negative rate and current CDC recommendations are that they not be used on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers