Increasing IgG level
Hi, in 2008 I had an IgG test performed by LabCorps and tested positive for hsv 2 with score of 2.95. I had another test done recently after reading about the "false positive" range but I got more results back (from Quest labs) and the results were positive for hsv 2 with a score of 4.99. My doctor was going to order a Western blot but is it worth it at this point? Also, what would have caused an increase in IgG levels?
you had 2 completely different tests done. you can't even compare the differences in results. also you won't get the same result each time either even when you use the same test.

if you've never had any obvious genital symptoms, I recommend getting the WB.

grace
Hi Grace,

Thank you very much for your response. I've never had any obvious symptoms... The quest test that I had done is 6447x (immunoassay for hsv 1 and 2). Could you please tell me how likely it is that I do have hsv 2 now that 2 tests have come back positive? The last test had a high IgG antibody level so is it more likely that I am infected?

Thanks again.
Also, is it possible for the herpes virus to infect the body and lay dormant  without the immune system producing antibodies or will the immune system start to illicit an immune response soon after infection?

Lastly, do the IgG levels tell you anything about how far back the exposure happened?

Thank you again.
Herpes Blood Tests are generally used in cases where no visible symptoms are present. A blood test works by detecting the presence of herpes antibodies.  There is a possibility that the virus will not show up in a blood test, and a positive result is not always indicative that a person has genital herpes.

Hi Grace, I read this on another website. How is the last part true? Thanks.
I recently got all my blood work done and received a positive test result for HSV of 6.52. I had a baby 3 years ago and been with two different people unprotected in the last 6 years. I have not had any outbreaks that I know of. However, I did some research and learned that what we could believe is engrow hair or hair bumps could exactly be a outbreak and I do recall having some of those which were pretty painful but none recently. I'm just trying to figure out if that number of 6.52 mean I could have had this for some years?!?!
please start your own post
no, blood tests can't tell you how long you've been infected by the numeric result.

follow up with the testing recommended and go from there.