Herpes Community
Indirect transmission of oral herpes

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Indirect transmission of oral herpes

Have hsv1 and have grown very paranoid over accidentally giving it to my kids.

I have a tub of Blistex I use ONLY when I have chapped lips, NEVER when having an outbreak. I once used a small dab of it on my kid when their lips were chapped.  Again, it was from the tub (so I used my finger to scoop it out), nothing ever touched my my mouth directly (not like a stick of Chapstick that touched my mouth directly then my kids mouth directly). After I did this one time I realized it was probably not a wise thing to do and have never done it since.  Given I never ever used this Blistex during any outbreak I would assume this incident would not have passed anything to my kid??

Another incident I vaguely recall was a morning I began to feel the first tingle of an outbreak and started to notice the initial swelling (but not yet at the blister stage). I am concerned that I may have touched it and then not washed my hands properly before making breakfast for my kids (happened a while ago and cannot totally recall the exact sequence of events). Is there a risk this would passed the hsv1 to them??
no this isn't a risk for your kids.

don't kiss your kids on the lips or eyes and it's really not a risk for them.  still plenty of body parts to smooch them on when you don't have an obvious cold sore and transmission through other ways isn't really a concern. never put a pacifier in your mouth to "clean" it either.

grace
Thank you for the prompt reply.

A follow up question after reading other posts...since the events I described above happened about 4 1/2 months ago and my kids have not had any outbreaks that I should feel assured they remain free and clear?? In other words, if they were accidentally infected would they necessarily have had to have an immediate outbreak?? Or could it just be sitting dormant in their system and then just pop up randomly in 5 or 10 years??  
most folks, including children, who contract hsv1 don't present with obvious cold sores. if they aren't having symptoms, it's not something to be worried about until they are older and starting to be sexually active ( there you go, now I gave you something to really worry about - your kids being old enough to have sex! ).

I removed your other post with this in. we ask you to keep all your questions in your original post in our read before posting post on the forum.
Thanks...apologize for the duplicate posts.

A follow up....just so I am clear, if I accidentally did infect them and they did not show any immediate cold sores, then they are not likely to ever show cold sores until potentially later in their teen/adult lives when they become sexually active?

Or put another way, as my kids are now aged 5 and 3, given they have not exhibited any cold sore symptoms thus far, if infected, it is highly unlikely they would randomly wake up at age 9 or 10 (well before they ever become sexually active) with a cold sore??

Sorry to be dense here, I am just concerned about the fact the kids could have it, just in it dormant state, and that a few years from now (before they become sexually active) they will all the sudden start getting random cold sores.

Thx for your replies.
only time will tell if they will have obvious cold sores or not.  

30% of us contract hsv1 orally before we even step into the public school system in the US alone. it's incredibly common and we don't test for it in children routinely.
Thanks much.

One final question on kissing risks...obviously direct mouth kisses would carry most risk.  How risky are kisses away from the mouth, specifically cheeks, forehead, and top of head?  If I did anything which may have put them at risk, it would have been kisses in those other areas away from directly on the lips.
cheeks, forehead and stop of the head are fine for the pecks we give our kids :)