Herpes Community
Ingrown hair, herpes? Difference between hsv1-hsv2?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hello! I've only had sex once before(protected), and unprotected oral. About 15 days after I had unprotected oral I started having symptoms that you can associate with Hsv1/Hsv2 or prostitus. Since i'm younger and didn't think i would have prostitus i automatically assumed it was HSV. I didn't have any lesions or marks and after taking cipro after 7 days of feeling horrible (total time of 11 days). I felt much better. I then drank alot because i had some freinds out and the symptoms came back. This time my back was incredibly sore. Before the symptoms came back I also shaved my pubic hair for the first time since my Girl friend preferred it that way. I had abit of razor burn but then I gut a pimple that I had to pop on the top pubic area that was beside other bothered hair follicles. I shrugged it off as being just a ingrown hair but I was told today that an ingrown hair can be mistaken for herpes (It never got re-infected and just was red and bled abit after I popped it, now it's just red and theres abit of skin peeling from it). While all this had happened I had talked to my doctor and he said i had no infection in my urine and my PSA was alright. He didn't have any concerns. I never got the pimple down there swabbed either because i thought it was just an ingrown hair then. My question is. What is the difference between having HSV1 in the genital area, and HSV2? My girlfriend is healthy and doesnt have any STD's (she's said). I'm really confused about the difference from HSV2. Does HSV1 given orally to my genitals mean that I now have HSV2? And will I continue having breakouts for now on?
What testing did you have done? Cipro won't clear herpes. You don't describe your symptoms, either, aside from the ingrown hair from shaving.

HSV1 and HSV2 are the two types of herpes simplex - both can be either oral or genital (although HSV1 is more common orally, and HSV2 genitally). No, one does not change to the other and the symptoms are identical for both.

Has your girlfriend ever been tested for herpes? Have you?

Shaving can easily cause ingrown hairs, even infected hair follicles, especially with course pubic hair - very common.

These were my exact symptoms when I started getting sick

1-3 days after beginning of symptoms
-Visit doctor for STD tests, and urinalysis
-Pain in testicles which moved to pain in penis
-Back ache, fever, loss of sex drive and appetite
-Shrunken genitalia, cold feeling, abit of leaking after urination
-Pain in abdomen and between anus and penis
4-5 days
-No lesions or anything visible wrong other than the shrinkage
-Pain in testicles, burning feeling in thighs and groin area that would disappear after a warm bath
-After urination there would be thicker urine that would come out, always the same color as the urine, but transparent, no specific smell.
-Saw the doctor and got back results which showed no infection in my urine, and negative for STD's.
-Shrinking feeling and coldness went away and some of my sex drive had returned
-Felt constipated and had pressure on my tailbone and a discomfort around the anus
6 days
-after trying to pass a stool semen like discharge came out, along with lots of thick fluid (same color as urine i'd pass)
-Mild pain in testicles
-More thicker urine coming out, some not light enough to drip off the end of the penis

That was when I was sick. After the 11 total days of being sick it went away a few days after taking cipro, but maybe I was just healing already? Im a little confused about that :P.  I don't think she's been tested. And she only had one other partner and she had never complained about anything happening to her. I haven't been tested before. but I didn't think I would have needed too if I had one sexual partner. I think i should probably get tested just incase. I had panicked at first and thought that HSV in the genital area was only HSV2. I had a cold sore 6 days before I made out with her ( it had already healed and wasnt visible anymore ) and she gave me oral immediately after making out. How careful should I be if I'm diagnosed with HSV1 in the genital area? How often do I outbreak? And is it nearly as painful as having HSV2?  Thanks!
Your symptoms don't sound herpes related at all.

If you already have oral herpes, you have significant protection against getting it genitally (you already have it!). No, she won't pass your oral herpes to your genitals via oral sex either. And HSV2 is not a risk for oral to genital transmission.

HSV1 and HSV2 symptoms are exactly the same.

All this aside, it makes sense that you both know each other's herpes status. Be sure it's an IgG type specific blood test.

But none of what you state sounds like herpes.
Thank you very much :). I'm going to a urologist to get this all sorted out and hopefully i can really figure out what it is! I'll also ask about that. You've been very helpful.
No problem. Let us know how you make out.