Herpes Community
Instructions on how to take Acyclovir for outbreaks

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hello, I am currently taking acyclovir 200 mg twice daily for suppressive therapy.  However, I am on my menses and feel an outbreak coming. I was instructed to taking it 5 times a day for OBs. Just wanted to know what time intervals to take the pills. The doctor did not give me clear directions. Thanks.

I really hate being a woman right now and really hate the fact I have this virus :( Just a side bar.
it's much easier to take 800mg 3x/day for 2 days when you feel an ob about to start.

grace
Thanks Grace, 800 mg will be 4 pills. So take 4 pills a day for 2 days? Please clarify.
suppressive therapy is 400mg 2x/day. 200mg 2x/day isn't the proper dose.

If you have 200mg acyclovir pills then it's 4 pills, 3x/day for 2 days.

grace
Thanks Grace. I am really confused because on my tablets container it says, Take 2 tablets by mouth every day for suppression, 5 tablets a day for outbreak as directed. So I have been taking 200 mg 2x/day for suppression. I have been taking inadequate dose. Confused? Does that mean the drugs haven't been working?
Ok. so for suppression you are saying take 12 pills a day for 2 days. Am I right? If so, how far apart do I take medication. I so wish I can afford Valtrex right now...just one pill a day :((( Do you know when the generic comes on the market? Thanks.
generic valtrex comes on the market in dec of this year in the US.

suppressive therapy is when you take it every single day to prevent ob's. Outbreak or episodic therapy is the term for treating an obvious recurrence of herpes.  So yes, you would take a total of 12 pills a day for 2 days when you have an ob.

Your provider did not correctly prescribe acyclovir for you for suppressive therapy.  http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_zovirax.pdf is the official prescribing info or it's also listed here in the herpes handbook - http://www.westoverheights.com/genital_herpes/handbook/view_the_chapters/treatment.html

grace
Hello Grace,

My doctor called in a new dosage to my pharmacy. Does this sound right? 400 mg acyclovir take one tablet by mouth three times daily for 5 days, then as needed for outbreaks. I think she got it all wrong. I told to call in for suppressive therapy. They only gave me 30 tablets which is only good for two days if I'm taking one 400mg tablets twice daily.  I'll call them tomorrow because this prescription cost me more than before.

I have another concern. Do you know what I can do or use for itchiness?  I itch regardless but I just shaved and now I have a rash on my bikini line.  Can I use nystatin? (Don't know if Im able to say the full name of cream, can I leave it in your inbox?)  Thanks.
suppressive therapy should be 400mg 2x/day every single day.

nystatin is for yeast. if you don't have yeast, you shouldn't be using it.

grace
Thanks. so what can i use for the constant vaginal itching? How should I use acyclovir for obs?

for a post shaving rash, try just sprinkling corn starch on the rash and see if that helps. If it stays there longer than a few days, follow up on that with your provider.
My acyclovir says to take 400mg a day for suppressive and 400mg 2xday for 7days for ob. But she let's me change my script to suit me. Should I up the dosage to 2400mg for 2days for ob & 800 a day for suppressive?????
daily suppressive therapy is 400mg 2x/day. acyclovir is not effective when only taken once daily.

for ob's, it has to be 400mg 3x/day for 5 days or 800mg 3x/day for 2 days.

Grace or anyone,  400mg. 3x day for 5 days is not working for my OB's.  The infection stays just below the surface for days and days at that dosage.  And then I begin shedding hair.  I will try the 800mg for 3x day for 2 days.  But I am worried about my hair shedding.  Last OB my hair stopped shedding and went back to normal soon after the infection was finally suppressed.  So I'm pretty sure it's related to the Acyclovir.  Ever heard of this?  
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers