Herpes Community
Interpreting hsv test results please help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have never had an oral cold sore or been tested positive for HSV1 or 2.  About 6 months ago I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend who later told me that she just got off antibiotics recently for a yeast infection but she was 100% sure she didn't have any STDs and the infection was already gone. A few weeks after, I had painful sore like symptoms in my penis and weeks later went to a dermatologist he looked at it said it was herpes didn't do any tests and gave me a heavy dose of valtrex. Since that one time  I had always had protected sex after that except for oral sex. The pain went away and I continued to take valtrex every other day. Then I stopped taking valtrex and about 2-3 weeks later I got a similar pain in my penis. I had a slight redness at the very tip near the opening to pee. Not any blisters or anything visible, just red and painful. Looked nothIng like any pictures of herpes online. It was in the same spot as the first time. I began the valtrex again and went to get tested. Everything was negative except the following:

Hsv 1  igg herpeselect ab was >5 h
Hsv 2 igg herpeselect ab was 1.22 h

What does this mean?? What should I do?

Do I keep taking valtrex? Do I need to get a different test? Is there a chance I dont have hsv2?
Tags: Pain, Herpes, hsv test, HSV-1, Interpret results, test result, infections, igg, HerpeSelect
taking valtrex every other day isn't preventing recurrences. it's pretty much wasting your time and money to take it that way :(

at this point you need to be confirm your status with proper testing. had you received oral sex within 2-3 weeks of your initial genital symptoms?

grace
Yes, I received oral sex a few times around that time period but only for a few seconds, one time, was it unprotected and I washed after. Could it mean that someone with hSV 1 gave me hsv1 through oral sex but I don't have hsv2?

A friend of mine got herpes 15 years ago and said they take the valtrex every other day and have not had an outbreak since they started. They used to get outbreaks every few weeks before taking valtrex. I also never got an outbreak while taking valtrex.

What tests should I take? What type of doctor should I see?
By the way, I was very excited with your quick response.  I didn't even get a chance to thank you for your time and opinion. They are both much appreciated.

Best,
Zohan
the only way to confirm hsv1 genitally is through a lesion culture and typing of active symptoms.  it's really unfortunate that your provider you saw initially when you had symptoms didn't do a lesion culture and typing as they should've :(  A visual diagnosis of herpes isn't enough.  

your friend with herpes needs to 1 - confirm their herpes status. 15 years ago odds are proper testing wasn't done to know if they have herpes or if it was hsv1 or hsv2. 2- if they have a negative partner they are trying to protect, they should be taking valtrex daily. it has a relatively short half life and taking it every other day doesn't keep the virus from reproducing or reducing shedding adequately.  in other words, if your friend has hsv2, they've been darn lucky that they haven't had obvious recurrences treating it every other day !