Is it possible to have herpes for years (>20) and never know you have it?
Is it possible to not know you have herpes?  I have never had symptoms other than occasional vaginal itching.
Never had an outbreak of blisters before until this one little single one which is questionable.  No vessicles/blisters.  Is it possible to go for longer than 20 years?  I have been in a monogamous relationship.  Thank you.  I do get cold sores in my mouth, but that's been it.  From what I have read, some people never know they have it because their symptoms are so mild.  Is this true?
To answer all of your questions: Yes.

1 in 4 woman and 1 in 5 men have genital herpes. Of those, 90% don't even know it, due to no symptoms or not recognizing symptoms.

People who are HSV positive could easily go a lifetime and never know.
Thank you, Petal130.  All I can say is "wow!"  

I can remember having severe itching with my period at times, and occasional itching intermittently, particularly if I got sweaty.  No other symptoms.  I'll find out the culture results soon, and then if negative, I will proceed to the blood test.  

My answers do not at all suggest you have herpes. I merely answered based on herpes statistics. If anything, your symptoms sound fungal.
Oh, I realized that, Petal. Thanks.  :)    I thought my symptoms sounded fungal, too, too, until this past week when I had a horrible excoriated labia with severe itching.  Minor vaginal discharge, and one little spot that looked like a blister, but vanished in a day.  My doctor cultured it, but she said she thought it "looked" like herpes, but she wasn't positive without testing.  To me, it looked like raw hamburger.  Felt like it, too.   But feeling better after starting Flagyl 5 days ago and anti-virals (just in case) 3 days ago.  All I know is this is freaking me out!  I appreciate your responses.  I know I can get through whatever it turns out to be.  It's not going to get the better of me!  
PS  My "Wow" was in response to people not knowing they have it.  I just never realized so many were unaware.  But if you think about it, it makes sense.  The testing (or lack thereof) and the manifestations would certainly make it less than clear.  I haven't been tested for STD's since college and that was only once.  Just would never have thought to.
At this point you and your partner both should get type specific herpes igg blood tests too. see who has what. odds are neither of you have ever had them done before.

grace
Thanks, Grace.  Yes, we'll do that as the next step.  This should be fun explaining where this came from since I have no clue!