Herpes Expert Forum
Is it safe for me to have sex?

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Is it safe for me to have sex?

Where to start. So I was diagnosed with genital hsv1 last July. Since my initial outbreak, I have only had one other outbreak that was in another location. AKA my "backside." I could definitely tell it was an outbreak because I usually get the pronounced sores. Anyways it started on the 26th of march and it looks like it has healed in that area of the oubreak. However on the side of the vaginal opening, there seems to be like a dark looking spot when I stretch the skin out, (because I self check to make sure I am ok).
I noticed it a few days ago. It doesn't itch or hurt. I am still having itchiness through out the whole area and slight discharge (i normally have some discharge as well) during the day but that has been going on occasionally since I found out I had HSV1. My groin area is also sore but i believe that could be from running which i havent done in awhile. Anyways, I already informed my boyfriend of my status and Im just wondering if it could be nothing or if I would be putting him at risk with this so called spot. Obviously a condom would be involved I am just terrified of possibly giving him anything. Im not on any anti viral medications. But I do take at least 2000 mg of lysine a day.

Do you think it would be ok for me to have protected sex now?
There really isn't a day when you are for sure safe with herpes in terms of transmission.  In fact, most new cases of herpes are transmitted when no lesions are present.  So you need to consider the possibility of infectiousness at any time.  

May I ask why you are not taking antiviral therapy?  It reduces the risk of transmission by half and is pretty cheap  - about 16$ per month.

Does he know you have herpes?

Terri

The dark skin area is not concerning to me for herpes, by the way.  Is it raised?
Hi Terri,

Thank you for answering my question.
The spot  is small, flat to slightly indented, circular, red in color, and looks like new skin is healing. It is not painful to the touch and it doesnt itch. I just noticed it a few days ago and it has not developed into anything further. Do you think I have anything to worry about as far as the description of the spot is concerned?

I did have a recent outbreak on my back side that seems to have healed so Im not sure what this could be from or if its nothing to really worry about because it does not feel like the sores from an outbreak that I am used to.

I did tell my boyfriend about my HSV1 status and he still wants to have sex but I told him I wanted to wait until I am sure its ok (protected sex of course)

I am not on antivirals now because I am out of the country and cant get them. I was thikining about going through an online pharmacy but I dont know how legitimate that would be.

Thank you!
I think you can get meds through an online pharmacy, yes, though I have no experience with that.  

If you aren't with him right now, being on therapy is not going to be too useful.

Terri