Herpes Expert Forum
Is it too soon become positive for hsv 1??

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Hi everyone

I have unprotective oral sex on 2 june 2013,after that i have std screen for gonnorhea (Gonorrhea),syphilis,candida,and hsv 1/2 on 6 july 2013 then the result is negative for all test except igg for hsv 1 i got 2.41 (ELISA test)

The question,
1.is it too soon become positive for only a month for hsv 1?i have no sypmtoms at all

2.is there possibility a false positive for value 2.41 for hsv 1?i heard 1.1-3.5 consider as false positive??

3.what should i do next to get my herpes status??

Thx  for the answer
Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip, then that is the source of your HSV 1 antibody.  If you haven't, then there are a few possibilties
1) it is a false positive since it is a low positive
2) You acquired HSV 1 from the sexual encounter
3) you have HSV 1 orally and don't know it.  

If you only received oral sex, transmission of HSV 2 is really unlikely.  You could retest and see if your HSV 1 index value is greater than 3.5.  That would eliminate the need to do any other kind of confirmatory test.

Terri
Btw I am from Indonesia
I plan to retest for igg for hsv 1 on 2nd september,any suggestions?
Any feedback,please??thx...
I never have history of cold sore in my entire life.

1.Do u think is it too soon become positive after a month exposure for hsv??

2,If i retest again,greater than 3.5 means definitely positive,how about if lower than 2.41??

3.What are the chance to get false positive for hsv 1?is possible to happen??

Thx a lot Terri warren
Any opinion?thx...
1.  About half the people who are infected will show antibody within 3 weeks.
2.  I would say that > 3.5 means almost certain infection, less than 2.41 but greater than 1.1 is still low positive and not definitive.
3.  Yes

Terri
Million thanks for u,Terri for your answer,i will put my faith on 2nd september 2013 for blood test,i hope for the best... Since hsv 1 is uncommon in my country Indonesia,i hope it is only  false positive for me
I will post it the result later

Thx Terri for help
Terri last one question,
since i got low positive on 2 July 2013 by blood test,i consume lysine until now to prevent the outbreak

Do you think it will affect the blood test result for hsv 1 on 2nd september 2013?

Terri,one last question

Since i got low postive hsv 1 on 6th August 2013 through blood test,i started consuming lysine to prevent the outbreak

Do you think it will affect my blood test result for hsv 1 on 2nd september 2013??

Thx Terri
Since i got low positive,i started consuming lysine for a month now to prevent the outbreak

Do you think it will affect the result for hsv 1 on 2nd september 2013

Thx Terri
sorry for over post... there's something wrong with my iPhone...
Should i stop consuming lysine for a while to get accurate result on 2nd september 2013??
Lysine will not impact your antibody test.
If you are going to do the same test over, it may not help clarify things for you, just so you know.  You do appear to know.

Terri
To clarify my status,i know i must take western blot test as gold standard procedure

but the problem is i stay in Indonesia,i think there is zero posibilty to take western blot since it is only available in US,

I just want to know my status,if i am truly positive,i will accept the result and live with it, but in this case i am still low positive,you said there is still chance to get false positive,so what should i do next??

Accept the herpes without clear status is really painful moment for me.. You have helped me a lot by answering my question Terri...
Terri,thank for everything...

I got my result if HSV and i got value 5.3,means i am strongly positive

I will live with it,no regret anymore...

What should I avoid to prevent the OB?

I meed suggestions to take care this disease...

I dont want to spread it to my family member,so this is my question

Can hsv 1 spread through towel or tooth paste???

Thx
Hope one day there is cure for hsv 1...
I wouldn't share towels or toothbrushes, just in general.

Terri
A related discussion, how accurate 15 weeks after exposure was started.