Herpes Community
Is my condition related to Herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Is my condition related to Herpes?

I am a 23 year old male and I had sex with a girl I have known for a while a week ago today.  We used a condom.  The next day after I had left she called me in tears telling me that she has Herpes.  She was afraid to tell me... she assured me that I was in the clear since we used protection and she was not having an outbreak.  

Last night I started getting a bit of a sore throat and today I woke up with what feels like tonsillitis... I feel slightly light headed, sore throat when I swallow, coughing up yellowish coloured flem (phlegm)...

We did not have oral sex at all, and I have not seen any other symptoms other than those listed above... I went to the doctor to get tested yesterday but they told me I was wasting my time checking for herpes since I would test positive because I get cold sores... all of the search results on google are really freaking me out and I don't think there is much else I can do... if anyone has any information for me or advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
sounds like you have an upper respiratory infection, not any symptoms of herpes.

the risk of contracting hsv2 from a one time protected encounter is incredibly low.  we wouldn't even recommend testing just from this 1 time encounter to be honest.

you can still get accurate test results from the herpes igg blood tests. the type specific tests give 2 separate results -  one for hsv1 and one for hsv2.  you need to wait 3 months post encounter for your hsv2 igg to be accurate from this encounter if you feel you just need the peace of mind of testing.

grace
Thank you very much for your response Grace...

I have been very stressed and worried about this... I will probably test just to be sure then in a few months.  

I appreciate the quick reply and information, I feel better already :)