Herpes Community
Is this herpes or something different? Please help

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Hi all,

I have a few questions to ask from fellow members to help me out with this situation.

My ex girlfriend was fully checked for all STD's including genital herpes before we got together including blood test. I haven't had a blood test. 7 months in to our relationship I started to experience very small blisters on my penile shaft that soon scabbed over and disappeared. As sad as it sounds I thought this may be down to masterbating (masturbating) with a nylon sock causing friction and blisters. About a month or so before this I experienced swollen lymph nodes in my groin area on one side but at the time I was training hard at the gym and thought this could possibly be due to that. I was doing leg raises and it always makes me get a pain in my groins so I just guessed I over did it but had no blisters. About a month later that's when I had the penis blisters.

My questions are:

1. I have been with my girlfriend for about 14 months having very regular unprotected sex, would she have had symptoms if I had genital herpes?

2. I have had these blisters again twice but all seems to be related to masterbating (masturbating) or usually after that time. They are painless and the recurrent blisters are not painfull and don't really cause any restlessness down there. No swollen groin nodes when they have come back. The blisters have moved to a different part of my shaft, does this usually happen with herpes?

3. I have never had any other symptoms like flu, aches pains etc just a small itch when the blisters start to appear. They do not hurt at all. Is this normal with herpes?

4. My ex partner and I performed oral sex a lot of the time and neither have ever had cold sores or the like. Is that normal?

Just to add I am pretty sure we were both 100% faithful in this relationship, and I may have experienced these blisters before had after masterbation (masturbation) with a sock but didnt take much notice but after reading on here and being paranoid after reading numerous articles it's made me worried.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I would really appreciate it.

so you are both sure that herpes was a part of your std testing? it typically is not.

you have to be kind to the lil guy dear. it's very delicate mucosal skin that can be irritated and damaged easily. use a good lube - regardless of if it's sex or masturbation!

grace
Thanks for the reply. I am sure she had a herpes blood test before we got together. But I haven't. These symptoms have only occurred on myself recently. 7 months into our relationship.

If it was herpes wouldn't she have shown signs in over a year of regular unprotected sex? She sometimes has colds and hasn't got the best immune system.

Would that type of masterbating (masturbating) cause tiny fluid filled blisters that don't hurt and give no other symptoms of herpes?
Also to add, last time this problem occurred it was in a different spot.

Regards
not likely this is herpes but best to cover your bases.  since you've never been tested, might as well get it done so that you two can make educated decisions about precautions - especially important should she get pregnant at any point.
What reasons would you give to say its not likely? Wouldn't my gf have caught it over 14 months?

Thanks again for your help.
Couples can be together for years without transmitting it. It's not certain that she would have caught it at this point. The best way to get answers is to be tested.
Thankyou,

Last question, as you can imagine its really playing on my mind :(

Does it usually occur on the penile shaft in the same spot? Mine moves around with no other symptoms?
typically they are in the same general area though they can move around over time.  your symptoms do not sound like herpes.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers