Herpes Community
Is this herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Is this herpes?

I recently had unprotected sex with someone I had begun dating.  2 days after we had sex, I noticed two red bumps on the side  of my penis that were located on hair follicles.  I called and scheduled an appointment with my dermatologist, I was luckily able to be seen the following day, which put discovery of red bumps and examination by doctor within 36 hours.  Between discovery and examination by doctor, the red bumps appeared to look like pimples with whiteheads.  I nervously tried to pop them and a small amount of white pus-like stuff, along with some blood, came out.  When I was examined by my dermatologist he took a quick glance and pronounced it herpes.  I did not have any sores at any time.  I asked him to do a swab or sample of the area for viral culture testing as I wanted to be certain.  He agreed to do so but also put me on acyclovir just to be safe.  While the bumps appeared to be receding on their own prior to the examination, I cannot be certain because of the acyclovir.  Ultimately, the test came back negative and the bumps went away within 3 days of discovery.  At no time was I experiencing any unusually high amount of itching, and there was no burning or pain whatsoever in the area, although I believe my paranoia made me more acutely aware of my itching.  I am not confident of my dermatologist's diagnosis because he has misdiagnosed me in the past with not having a skin condition which I actually had, so I'm looking for a second opinion.  I'd like to believe I don't have herpes, and based upon the viral culture I can sorta be certain, but since I never had an open sore it's not as reliable.  He did dig into the red bump a bit to try and get a good sample.  In any event, what does the community think?
have you ever had a type specific herpes igg blood test?

did your partner have one?

grace