Herpes Expert Forum
Isolated Bump

Welcome to the Herpes forum. This forum is for questions and support pertaining to herpes simplex virus infections (HSV-1 and 2) and herpes zoster (shingles) and the virus that causes it, varicella zoster virus. Questions about genital herpes are welcome both here and on the STD Forum.

Isolated Bump

Hello and thanks for reading.

I had a single oral encounter 24 days ago.  I had a routine STI test done at 16 days and every came back negative including HSV.  I now have a single isolated bump that appeared about 4 days ago (20 days from encounter).  The bump has not really increased in size, it does not hurt, and it has not opened or crusted over etc. There is no white head, the area is not red.  I was recently treated for jock itch with a cream and powder that has since gone away.  The bump is smaller than an eraser at the end of a pencil but bigger than a pen tip.

I have a few questions for you

1.  When a bump is first noticed (and presuming it is HSV) how long does it take for this bump to open and form a lesion or ulcer?  

2.  I read that an HSV outbreak is sometimes accompanied by fever, flu like symptoms, muscle aches etc.  Do these flu like symptoms usually come before the outbreak or could they come 4 days after a bump appears?

3.  If I were to get tested again while the bump is still there with the IgG test, if it was an outbreak would it show as a positive on the test?  Would a swab test be beneficial even though there is no opening or anything coming out of the bump?

4.  Is the bump a possible reaction to friction?  I was walking a little differently when I had the jock itch and that area rubbed against my pants more often than usual.

Thanks for your time.
A single bump of this size and description coming this late after a sexual encounter is very unlikely to have anything to do with herpes.  Where on your body is the bump, on your penis?  Have you ever in your life had a cold sore on your lip?  The kind of herpes you could contract from an oral encounter is more likely HSV 1, not HSV 2, and you have a negative antibody test (it is not necessarily conclusive for HSV 1, however).  

1) a herpes lesion would break in a few days, and it would need to be a blister, not a bump, to open up.
2) Yes
3) the blood test results have nothing to do with if you have symptoms at the time it is taken
4)  could be.  It could also be a genital wart or molluscum.  If you have continue to have it, it should be looked at.

Terri
Thanks Terri.  Yes it is a bump on my penis.  I do not believe I have ever had a cold sore on my lip but I know people that have and it doesn't really look anything like that.

I read that genital warts likely don't show up for 3-6 months after an encounter that you would obtain the infection so I kind of ruled that one out.  The bump looks kind of like a bug bite and has not changed in size or in physical appearance since I noticed it a week ago.

How much longer would you give for the bump to go away before having it looked at?  Should I try some of the antifungal cream or steroid cream that I have and see if that helps?  It really doesn't look like molluscum and doesn't really look like genital warts from pictures I have seen.  Thanks for responding and thank you foe your time.
The problem with waiting to have it looked at is that it can change or go away over time and then you won't know what it was/is.  If it hasn't changed at all in one week and there is only one, it seems unlikely that it would be herpes, but I obviously can't be certain.  

I personally would not advise putting anything on it since you have no idea what it is and nothing really rings a bell with me.  

Terri
How long after exposure is the western blot test effective?
It is accurate after 16 weeks from the time of the possible exposure.

Terri
Ok I am only at 5 weeks so I do not think that would be a feasible test yet.  I went to the Dr and he didn't see any bump and I have noticed that sometimes you can see it sometimes you can't.  So getting it looked at didnt provide any real insight.  I think I might get another igG blood test done in another 6 weeks or so but my Dr said he didn't really see a point in it.  But I have read, and I don't know how true it is, that herpes can manifest itself like a bug bite that never opens up.  Is that true in some cases?
Yes, it can present itself in different ways.  A follow up test will give more accurate results.

Terri