Herpes Community
Itchiness in Pubic Hair Area

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Itchiness in Pubic Hair Area

I have been experiencing itchiness in my pubic hair area for about 3 months now. The itchiness has not been accompanied by anything else until very recently. About a week and a half ago, I shaved my pubic hair because I thought that might help with the itchiness. Afterwards, I noticed about 6 little red bumps. Some of the bumps have hairs in the middle, others do not. It does not appear that the bumps are filled with pus and they have not ruptured or anything like that. They also have not gone away. The itchiness comes and goes. Sometimes it is more pronounced at night, other times not. I have tried to avoid scratching as much as possible. There is no pain or inflammation, just the itching and the few little bumps. Also, there are no bumps or itching on the shaft or head of my penis. The itching is localized to my pelvic area.

I have had sex with 2 people. One was with a long time girlfriend who I know did not have any sort of STDs. The second was with a good friend of mine whose sexual history I knew. After we had sex, I noticed the itching about a week later. I told her about it and it turns out that she was going to have an appointment with her gynecologist later that week. She told him about it and he checked her for STDs but she came up negative for all of them, including herpes. He did both visual and blood tests.

My question is, is it likely that my symptoms indicate herpes or something else? I have done some reading online and it sounds like it could be folliculitis. I know that I need to get into a doctor, but I'm hesitant because of what the results could tell me. I know that it is also possible to have picked up scabies or pubic lice in a non sexual manner since the second girl tested negative. I'm just looking for someone's opinion on what this could be.

Thanks.
ive been experiencing the same problem as well and i have no idea what it is.  I had protected sex with someone i dont know about 3 weeks ago and in the past 2 weeks i have had no stop itching especially on the sack and not so much the shaft.  I have also noticed some really hard tiny bumps on the pubic region and bottom of the shaft as well.  I'm freaking out it could be herpes but my doctor said it it didnt look like it.  I did have pain in my left leg and buttocks a week ago which could also be a sign of herpes so thats why im really nervous.  hopefully we are both okay but at least you know the girl you were with doesnt have anything .  Good luck
Itching wouldn't continue without any obvious periods of relief in between for this long if it was related to herpes.

see your provider for proper evaluation and treatment.

grace
I've also been experiencing something extremely similar as bulldog549.
Personally I'm guessing I have herpes, as I was exposed 32 days ago.  

Here are my symptoms:

1) Day 5, of being Itchy and irritated in pubic hair area.

2) It's fine in the morning, but the more I move around, the worse is gets.
At night it is the worst.

3) I experienced short, slight shooting stings (tingling?) in the same area before the itching occurred.

Any guesses?

I'm very worried and will be tested soon.  Thank you for taking the time to read this and any comments are a huge help.
I have the same as above the itching is mastly and worse at night i have had it for ages but every time i have told my dermotologist they dont even check it they dont give me an answer they diont seem bothered as i was there for something else so they concentrated on that they are useless please help
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers