Herpes Community
Itching

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Itching

I was just wondering if itching alone could be a symptom of herpes? no sores bumps or blisters just a pretty intense itch.

thanks
Yes, it can be a symptom of an initial outbreak, along with an increase in vaginal discharge. This can start up to a week before any blisters or sores begin to appear.
Thanks for the response but I have not had sex in over a year, so an initial outbreak doesn't seem to fit. But the itching does seem to come and go but never with any bumps so sores or anything

thanks for you help
just itching can be a sign of recurrences of herpes. are you being seen when you have this itch? Are they testing you for yeast and bacterial infections vaginally when you are seen?  have you had a type specific herpes igg blood test done yet?

grace
Ohh my gosh, yes I have been seen once with the itching and the doctors did test and both were negative.  I have been worried about herpes since a of risky encounter also the first time I had sex and have had an STD panel but I know that it didnt include herpes. I've expressed my concern with my doc but he says I'm fine. (I have only had intercourse 3 times in my entire life with one person) so he sees no need for testing for it. BUT i know that with just one  encounter there is a risk. I will wake up without the itch and then as the day goes on it seems to appear. Sometimes it last a few days and go away only to return a few days later. I really have not had any relief since these encounters which where a over a year ago I seem to have some pain or annoyance daily with my vaginal area (burning,itching, sorness)  and its got me really down and worried. I have also been to the doctor a ridiculous amount of times with complaints of itch and pain only to be told they see nothing out of the ordinary, or receive a diagnosis of BV. I do have a problem with recurrent bacterial infections. I have an appointment with a new gyn in three weeks and I have been keeping a symptom log and plan to really lay everything out on the table to get this whole thing figured out.

With all this said do you still believe that my symptoms could be from herpes?
And I forgot to add I have also been experiencing leg pain I know this too can also be a sign of herpes.
herpes will not cause itermittant pain like that. odds are whatever is going on isn't due to herpes.

don't underestimate bv either! I'd take my herpes over bv any day to be honest!  
Thank you soo much and yess I've learned bv is no fun and have been trying things to stop them from reoccuring with no luck. One last question. Do you think I should seek and herpes igg test anyways I have a feeling my gyn wont think its a good idea since most of the doctors I have been to and discussed my worries seem to laugh at the idea of herpes because I have had no sores or anything. Should I try for the test anyways?

Thanks again
it's really low risk for you in general. if you wanted to know your hsv1 status for future partners, it would be more for that than hsv2 to be honest.
Thank you Grace!
Hello again Grace,

I back with another question, I know you have said that my risk was pretty low, but ever since having sex I keep having pain and irritation it is intermittent pain and I know that is not usual of herpes. I have not participated in sex since then so i have still have only ever had sex a grand total of 3 times (unprotected with the sam person). I have had this pain for over a year it is at the vaginal opening and sometimes accompanied with a stabbing pain around my clitoris. i have been to the doctor many times and they see nothing abnormal, and do not know the cause of the pain when I bring up the concern of herpes my doctor seems to laugh it off. I can't help but think in the back of my mind maybe I do have herpes, so what do you think should I just forget about the herpes and continue to work with my doctor to find the cause of my pain. Or do you think that with my symptoms it would benefit me to pursue testing my doctors knowledge of herpes isnt very good so I would have to do testing on my own and know it can be pretty costly so I just would like to know if it would be worth it

Thanks again
this doesn't sound like a herpes related pain.  continue to follow up with your gynecologist to try to get to the bottom of it.
Hi again Grace,

I’m sad to be writing in again as I was just starting to really push the idea of having herpes out of my mind and move on with my life, the vaginal pain that had pretty much been intermittent finally stopped and life was good. Until I noticed some irritation and decided to take a look wit hand mirror. I noticed a kind of thick white discharge so I'm thinking maybe an infection of some sort? But what has me alarmed and my anxiety raging is that I noticed a sort of cut or maybe vaginal fissure a little below my clitoris. It is flesh colored no redness or anything and looks like a little straight cut, probably wouldn't have noticed it if I was pulling and prodding around and haven't noticed any pain but I am extremely worried now. I plan to make a doctors appointment for as soon as I can get in but am terrified at first sight my doc will say its herpes. Just wanted some insight as I am really freaking out, could this be herpes? Could some sort of infection cause this yeast, bv?

Thanks again
This could be anything.  Chances are it isn't herpes.  Be seen when dealing with herpes within 24-48hrs.  I would also seek out the igg type specific testing as well to set your mind at ease.
never had an outbreak until now. my boyfriend and I had sex we had not been able to see each other for some time because we live in different states. anyway had sex next day I started to itch a little and than it got worst. I shaved med and never did I see sores nor blisters not even a discharge felt he gave me crabs after I shaved and felt better. still had some itching but it went away. still went to doctor had std test blood test said I had GH and he just got his test back negative? not understanding should he not have it to? maybe mistake made with me???? what should I do... on med for HP..
Which type does the doctor say you have on your blood test: HSV1 or HSV2?

They are very different and knowing which you are positive for could help us guide you along.