Herpes Community
Jock itch or herpes?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Jock itch or herpes?

My girlfriend has genital HSV-1 and I'm HSV-1 and 2 negative.  We've only had sex with condoms and no outbreaks.  About 3 weeks ago I noticed itching in the bottom crease of my left groin.. about where the inner thigh connects to the scrotum.  I scratched at it and rubbed it for the first week of the itching until I figured I may have been making things worse.  For the next week I tried to refrain from scratching the area but the itching continued... it was always intermittent for about 20 minutes every 5-6 hours but was irittating when it did itch.  So during the 2nd week I looked in the bathroom under good lighting and saw that the area seemed like it had a white/gray film in the area that I was scratching at, that partly sloughed off whenever I rubbed at it.  I also noticed that when I stretched the skin, I saw 3 red rashes that were like ring shaped and different sizes, surrounded by the white/gray film borders.  So by the end of the 2nd week I go to the doctor's office where a PA takes a look at it under good lighting, and says it doesn't look like herpes but looks like jock itch.  He gave me miconazole cream which I've applied since Monday evening of this past week.  By Friday, the rashes are gone and there's just a slight hint of the rash/infection being there, so I'm still applying the cream.  I'm just wondering if it was the cream that helped, thereby confirming the PA's diagnosis of jock itch, or would it just be the herpes outbreak running its course?  

This past Friday marked the end of the 3rd week of symptoms.  Before applying any cream, the itching/rashes appeared to worsen.  And now it barely itches at all, mainly just when re-applying cream, and there's seemingly no red rashes.  I've read that the area is very atypical for initial herpes outbreaks, and I never had any bumps/blisters in the area I scratched at.  Just wondering what you all think?  I plan on getting another herpes select blood test this upcoming week.
hsv1 genitally doesn't shed often and the risk of contracting it from your partner is very low.

this sounds exactly like a fungal infection aka jock itch. Continue to treat it for a full week after the rash disappeared so it's less likely to return.

honestly no reason for more herpes testing for yourself at this point. save you rmoney.

grace
Thanks, grace, you're always a wealth of information!
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers