Herpes Community
Jus had lunch with a friend with a cold sore

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I just had lunch with a friend who had a cold sore. She had blisters on her lips, which were, to what I could see, not n the weeping stage. I did not share a fork, though since it was a buffet, she did fetch me my dessert.

I had hugged her before I noticed anything, though did not brush against her lips directly at any point.

My question is: how likely am I to get the virus? and can I do anything to prevent an infection?
Thanks!
Oral herpes in adults is typically transmitted by passionate kissing. The virus requires skin to skin contact along with heat/friction for transmission. Aside from that, I'm not sure why you'd think someone fetching dessert for you - or any food, would be an issue.

More than half the adult population has oral herpes. One in every 2-3 people you kiss will have it; you may already have it, as many of us get in in childhood from that big smooch from Auntie. Most folks don't get recognizable symptoms to even know they have oral herpes.

Become educated further about oral herpes here:
http://www.ashastd.org/herpes/herpes_learn_oralherpes.cfm
Thank you for your comment, I know I am negative for hsv-1 from my last screenings. I was asking beause I saw on the internet that someone with can active sore can infect through a cup or eating utensil, hence my question.
I did hig her, but of course, it was a friendly hug, and no lip-to-skin contact.
May I assume then, I am just being paranoid, and no real risk to me?

I will hate to reduce my social contact for a stupid virus, and one that is so common, just since I don't have it, will prefer not to contract it.

Thanks again.
Did you read the link I posted?

As I said, there will/has been people in your life who have kissed you and who have oral herpes - relatives included. Most of us won't make it to the old folks home without it. You almost certainly will not get from sharing utensils or cups (although, you can get the flu, colds and other viruses this way). In adults, oral herpes is transmitted primarily from kissing.