Just diagnosed
My ex fiance just recently had an affair with a woman that has herpes and transmited it to me. I was just diagnosed one week ago and have been taking Zovirax since then. In search of comfort and company a friend spent the night at my house and we ended up having sex. He wore a condom but it slipped out and he penetrated twice before we noticed. How high is the risk of him being infected because of this? We both don't know much about this condition and were wondering if it is safe for him to masturbate me. Is finger vaginal penetration safe?
He went trhrough the same situation I did about 7 months ago. His wife of eleven years cheated on him so he got a full screen 2 months ago. His HSV1 came up at 0.90 and HSV2 at 0.61.
well hopefully you two find a condom size/brand that works better for you both :)  Don't forget to remind him that a drop of lube on him before he applies the condom, helps it move better so he gets increased sensation and it doesn't break. lube isn't sexy but it really helps you both . ( one day I will invent a sexier to use lube....lol )
LOL Thanks for the info Grace. We really have that physical attraction and he does not seem to be scared or affected by me having herpes. But right now we have nothing serious and we feel it's better for us both if we use protection. I will sugest the lube, even though like you said it's not very sexy lol. Thanks again.
Hi Grace, I know this is going to sound kind of dumb, but here it goes. For a few days I have been having these little bumps on my legs that almost look like mosquito bites all over my legs, from my thighs down to my ankles. They are spread around and I maybe have 6 on each leg. They also itch like crazy. Could it be posible for herpes to outbreak on other parts of your body and not just the genital region?
this isn't herpes going on. go and be seen and find out what they are. this could even be bedbugs or something!
Hello Grace,

Just an update. I was just re tested again for HSV2, my IGGs are at 2.95. Pretty much still the same as 3 months ago when I tested IGG 2.94. So would it be safe to assume that even though I retested a low possitive again that I am just possitive?
no you still can't assume anything. get a herpes WB to see what your status is for sure.
So for the Western Blot is there a specific amount of time that I have to wait? Can
I request it trhough my primary care provider? Or does it have to be specifically my OB?
You can request from your primary care doctor.  I don't have the quest code but they can get a Herpes Western Blot done.  They send the lab work to the UofW.  

Your timeline to wait would have been 4 months after your last questionable encounter.  
Hello, I went to my primary care provider today to ask him about the WB testing, he said since my OB was treating me that he would rather them do it. He was also trying to explain to me that just because my tests came up possitive it doesn't mean that I truly am possitive, there is a possibility the results could be positive simply because I have been exposed and my body created antibodies to try to fight it. Now I'm really confused, is this true? Would your body really create antibodies to try to fight the virus which will cause your tests to show possitive?
Your doctor is clearly lacking on Herpes knowledge.  The answer is no.  You either have herpes or you don't.  There is no inbetween.  While this may apply for some viruses it is not the case with all and herpes is one of them.
Hello again. Neither my Primary care Dr. nor my OB will order the WB for me. The OB keeps telling me that the results are just possitive and do not need confirmation there for she will not order further testing. And my Primary care Dr. refuses to go over my OBs head. Is there any possible way I can get this WB done my self? I need help, no one will help me get confirmation!
encourage your doctor to reviewe the 2010 cdc herpes testing guidelines to  take care of the additional testing you need. You can order the WB kit on your own but you still need your provider to order the lab to draw the blood and send it out for you.
I need HELP Please! I was very excited that my primary doctor finally desided to send me for the WB testing, he wrote out the slip and all. I went to the Lab Corp, which is the only place my insurance covers, and they said they don't run this sort of test there. They called their coorporate office and were told that none of the Lab Corps do the WB. I don't know which way to go from here, can some one please help? Any suggestions Grace or Mistake guy?
no labcorp doesn't do the herpes WB testing.

call the lab you were going to use and find out if you bring the WB test kit to them can they draw your blood, spin it down in the tube provided and ship it to the U of washington for you.
Ok so I have a lab slip that my Dr. filled out for Lab Corp requesting blood drawn for WB and for a HSV 2 viral load by PCR. So if they agree to draw the blood and ship it out for me I can take the slip with the WB test kit to the lab and they would be able to help me out then? How do I order this WB kit? Thank you for your help. I greatly appreciate it.
you absolutely do not want the pcr test done on your blood for herpes. no idea why your provider ordered that. we don't check viral load with herpes - it's not a blood borne virus so it's not going to be detected via blood testing.

if labcorp says they'll draw the blood and ship it for you, all you have to do is order it from the U of washington lab ( I can provide the number for you ).
hello,

I have been given this big run around about this test today. Lab Corp will not do the test if I take the test kit my self. I called my insurance office to find out what I could do, they told me to call my local hospital and have them get a confirmation number so that the insurance will cover the test. I called the hospital and they told me that my primary care provider had to get the confirmation number.  I called my primary care provider and they told me it would take too long to get the confirmation number and that after they got that confirmation number that I would still have to pay majority of the bill(in other words, they don't wanna cause they are lazy). They also told me to try the STD clinics, which I told them I dont think they would do a WB testing at the free STD clinic. I called the local STD clinic and the nurse wasn't available so I couldn't ask about it. HELP!! I dont know where to go next.
I just got off the phone with my local STD clinic and they confirmed that they do not do any HSV testing at all.
is there a quest lab near you?  you can get  a herpes WB blood test sent to U of washington through them pretty easily.
Yes, there are a couple of Quest Labs in my area. But my insurance doesn't cover this lab, only Lab Corp. I'm willing to pay out of pocket but I do need to find out how much it is going to cost me first. How do i go about having them order it for me?
The quest labs code is 34534.  You can call quest I am sure and tell them the lab code I gave you and ask how much it would cost for you to have that done.  Then you can have your provider do a Quest labs request for that order.
your provider has to order you to have the blood drawn from quest.

your only other option is to call terri warren's clinic ( our herpes expert here on medhelp - she wrote the herpes handbook ) and be an online patient through them. You can discuss your case with her and she will order the blood to be drawn from your local lab. it's even  more expensive unfortunately :(

Thank you Grace, do you happen to know off hand how much it will cost me for them to order the test for me? Or how I can contact them to find out about the charge for being a patient and ordering labs? I think this might be the best choice for me as both of my doctors don't seem too interested in helping out with the confirmation, they keep telling me that I tested positive and I should just leave it at that. But since I've been following this forum and finding out about false possitives, and low possitives I have been concerned because i have never had an out break and I want to be certain before I have to tell a partner about something that I may possibly not even have. Thank you for taking your time out to help.
It's $25/5 minutes of phone consult with Terri I think she told me.  The blood test will run you around $200. I believe Terri can submit it to your insurance too - she knows the right way to bill things so it's more likely to be covered.
wow, I don't think I'll be able to cover very much in five minutes lol, so I guess this will be a pricey one. Do you think by knowing all that you know on my situation and my igg score, would you in your personal opinion think it's worth it to go through all this? I feel like throwing in the towel some times with all the grief these doctors are giving me. But I also don't want to go my whole life not having a solid answer. I would appreciate a personal view in the matter if thats ok. Thank you
I have a question about the possibility of transmitting hsv2 through oral sex. My current partner agreed to get a type specific test for hsv2 and tested negative. Last week he performed unprotected oral sex on me. I have never had an outbreak, and no signs of an outbreak at the time, before, or after the act. The morning after a sore appeared on the corner of his lips, and the following day another one appeared on the other corner. The sores are still present. Is it possible that I could have transmitted the virus to him this way? Should he re-test in three months?  
HSV-2 oral is very rare.  For lack of a in depth explaination HSV-2 doesn't like the oral location.  In his case he needs to be seen by his provider.  Sometimes a bump is just a bump.  He should have a lesion culture if he needs it.
a newly acquired hsv2 oral infection won't show up the next day. It's also not likely it would be on both sides of his mouth. odds are this is something else going on, not hsv2. I wouldn't bother with testing him in 3 months because of this.
Thank you for your responces Mistakeguy and Grace, I really appreciate it. It is hard to be in a relationship with someone who is not positive and have to worry about passing this on. I am much more at ease now. Thanks again! :)
How you getting on with WB?  And have you ever had any culture swabs taken on symptoms?
I have actually given up on getting a WB. It is much too expencive and my insurance won't cover the only lab that actually does the test. I have never had any symptoms except for symptoms similar to a yeast infection. After having a pap smear, urinalysis, and swabs done everything came up "normal". Also no visual signs.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you were never officially diagnosed with genital herpes. Apparently you had a low positive result, which must be confirmed, as many people already told you.

Not having a WB to confirm you status is up to you, but you might be worrying for nothing. It would be ideal to find out your status before worrying about passing it to your current partner.
That is correct, I was never officially diagnosed with a WB. Like I stated before, this test requires funds that I am in no possition to put out. My health care proffesionals will not cooperate and my insurance will not cover the one lab that will perform the test. Even though it is a low positive, I still concern my self because of the fact that a low positive still has a slight posibility of being a true positive. And being that I am not a 100% sure of what is going on exactly, I just want to be better safe than sorry :)
did you check to see if anyone locally offers the biokit hsv2 igg blood test?
What exactly is a biokit Grace? is it the same as the type specific blood test? because I had the type specific done already twice. Any information will deffinitelly help!
A biotkit is a very quick test. They prick your finger and test it right in the office. Takes 20 minutes usually and you should have your results given to you while you wait.
It's a different igg based hsv2 test than the testing you had done so far. It's been shown to help weed out the false positives that can occur with the herpeselect. I looks at a different part of the igg response to herpes infection so sometimes it's an faster , cheaper and easier to obtain option than the WB if you can find someone near you that offers it. I recommend googling them and calling their US number to see if anyone near you orders it from them.
Any specific key words I should use to google this test? It sounds like something I definitely want to do!
http://www.biokitusa.com/
Thank you Grace. One more question. How do I go about requesting to be tested with the biokit? Do I need a prescription for it?
Call the Biokit company and see if they have any providers in the area.  If they do just call the clinic and tell them you would like a biokit test to clear up a false positive issue and see if they can do it.
you'd need it to be ordered for you by a medical provider. usually it's done in the doctor's office so you'd have to be seen at an office that offers it but some labs do use it and then you'd just need your provider to order it for you and go to have it drawn.
Thank you. I will get right on it tomorow morning (Monday). I will keep posting the outcome of my new quest :) Wish me luck!
I have had absolutely no luck finding a local provider that offer the rapid test. I've looked on line, called the 800 numbers, and called all of the providers that take my insurance. I'm reaching the end of my quest and thinking I should probably just accept the fact that I may never be able to confirm my low positive results :/
you can get a WB from any quest lab in the US.

You can also try petitioning your insurance  to cover it based on the information in the 2010 cdc herpes testing guidelines. give your insurance a call and discuss getting it done if you haven't already. cheaper for them to cover the WB test for you than to cover you getting prescriptions filled for valtrex for the next 40 years!
Thank you Grace, don't know what I would do without you right now. This whole process has been very stressful. I will give this a try :)
Any updates? Were you ever able to get a WB test or the rapid biokit test? This thread has been infinitely helpful!
I think Grace is a valuable and reliable person to talk to! I am worried i too may have herpes 2 ! I'm trying to determine if i should do in at home or go to a clinic! I'm a male and i had unprotected sex a year ago with someone that has herpes 2! I guess I didn't hear or remember her tell me till this year! I'm thinking now what I have had 2 sexual relationship since being with her! Latly I have had some small bumps on my penis! While shaving my penis the other day I shaved the tops off now they have been alittle sore! I give blood every 60 days and nothing has come back from them as they do check for std's What do you think!
                                                                           Jim
this is an old post. please start your own post with any questions.

grace