Herpes Community
LabCorp Herpes IgG Test Results

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

LabCorp Herpes IgG Test Results

Hey, everyone.  I've been completely monogamous for the past 6 years (and assume my wife has too) but recently developed some rash-like pimples on both the tip and underside of my penis.  The doctor I saw at the Urgent Care center told me there was nothing for him to culture because he didn't see anything that looked herpetic.  

So I had a Herpes blood test done at LabCorp which uses, if I understand it correctly, the Captia test.

Here are the results:

HSV 1 IgG, Type Specific
RESULT: <.91
Negative

HSV 2 IgG, Type Specific
RESULT: <.91
Negative

Is it safe to say that HSV-1 and HSV-2 are not the culprits here?  

Does the Captia test give many false negatives?
this sounds more like a fungal infection than it does herpes.

your hsv test was negative for both types. if this was a newly acquired infection for you though it might be months until it's reflected in your blood test results. has your partner been tested?

grace
No, she hasn't been tested.  I take her at her word that she's been monogamous as well.  I know you can never be 100% sure.  But I'm pretty sure.  And without any kind of medical indication that this is indeed herpes, I wouldn't feel comfortable pressing her.

I should add two things about my urgent care visit.  1) The doctor sent my urine to be tested for chlamydia and gonorrhea, and I should find out those results shortly.  And 2) the Doctor gave me 10 days of acyclovir (800mg 3x day) in case it was herpes.

But the acyclovir hasn't really helped.
she's probably never been tested for herpes before to know her status.  also you can have hsv1 orally and transmit it to the genitals too.  if you are concerned about this being herpes then by all means explain to her why it's important to you for her to get the blood test done too.

as I said, this sounds more fungal than it does herpes. certainly won't hurt to pick up an otc antifungal cream and apply it 2x/day and see if that helps.

grace
Thanks for your feedback, Grace.  Very much appreciated.

I'll try some topical Lotrimin or miconazole and see if that helps.

Reading between the lines here . . . my test results suggest that if I have HSV-1 or HSV-2, it's a new infection, right?
yes it would be.

doesn't mean your partner has been stepping out on you though if you were thinking that.
Thanks, Grace.

I just redid the math and it's actually been 8 years since I've been with anyone besides my wife.  In that time, we've probably had unprotected oral/vagina sex, oh, 500 times.  So it would be pretty odd if this were a previously existing infection that I'm just catching now.

But, like you said, I doubt this is herpes-related.
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers