Herpes Community
Labcorp HSV, I/II IgM Combination

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

Labcorp HSV, I/II IgM Combination

I am a 37 yr male. Its been 4-5 weeks since I had unprotected oral sex and protected intercourse. I do not feel any different than I used to feel before.  I donot have any symptoms like nausea, rashes, sores so far but I decided to order an early detection confidential STD screening. The test came back as HSV, I/II IgM Combination 1.88 (High) and the provider told me I am infected with the HSV virus. I have been reading and reading and I am very stressed and confused as there are some articles that state HSV IgM test give false positives. However Labcorp's website says HSV I/II IgM Combination test provides early detection to a recent exposure.  I am not concerned about recent or not - its just killing me to think I have the HSV virus. This is going to be devastating to my family to the extent I cannot live with it. I am so ashamed to go to my family doctor. Can anyone please tell me if I have the HSV virus or not? Please please help me - God bless you.
current CDC recommendations are that the herpes igm test not be used on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes. it has a very high false positive rate and has little use for adults.

at this point, all you can do is wait until at least 3 months post encounter and seek out type specific herpes igg blood testing to find out what your status is. if you've never been igg tested for herpes before, you'll have nothing to compare results to.

grace
Grace - thank you so much for your reply. Yes that is correct I have never been tested before. I called Labcorp and the provider who ordered the test and told them that what you said - "current CDC recommendations are that the herpes igm test not be used on adults for the purpose of diagnosing herpes'. They told me that Labcorp has refined these tests to the extent that these tests unlike before are very reliable now for early detection. He did confirm that the test cannot distinguish between HSV I or HSV II but as far whether I have it or not he stated since the IgM showed 1.88 he said I am positive for herpes. He also said CDC usually takes time to update their recommendations. I am worried sick and very afraid - I cant live like this. Is it possible that Labcorp has refined their testing technique and CDC has not updated their recommendation?
these are the brand spanking new recommendations from the last CDC within the past year  Their igm isn't anything better than it's been in the past.  they offer the test so that they can continue taking people's money :(