Herpes Community
Lip cold sore appearing to spread to eye

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

My daughter has always had a cold sore on her lip when she gets tired or stressed and this time it has come up quite badly plus she feels it in one side of her face and eye.  As though her eye is hurting.  I cant see any change in her eye but am a bit worried.  I know if children get herpes in their eyes it can blind them.  Should I be worried?  
I have had genital herpes for 27 years and know a bit about it but not facially and also worry that her immunity may not be too good as she gets recurred herpes attacks and I know from experience this is more to do with immunity than it is about the virus itself.  

Any help appreciated.   Thank you.
the topicals for cold sores don't do much at all. give the doc a call and ask for a prescription for herpes antivirals to keep on hand for future cold sores.  she can use either 1 day famvir, 1 day valtrex or 2 day acyclovir to treat cold sores. acyclovir is the cheapest option - 800mg 3x/day for 2 days.
Hi there.  I am still interested in any input on my question..  Thank you.
how old is your daughter?

can an oral herpes infection spread into the eye area? yes it can. if she is having pain, best to take her to be seen regardless of her age.

grace
She is 16.  I did take her to the GP in the end and asked for a floracene stain test.  It wasnt seen as remarkable.  Do people take acyclovir orally for herpes affecting the eye area do you know?

Thank you
if the test was negative, no reason to think herpes in her eye.  

does she have oral antivirals on hand to start at the very first sign of a possible cold sore so that it heals fast ?  being 16 is hard enough without having frequent cold sores :(
The doctor didnt offer oral antivirals but my daughter did use the cream but it wants much use.  Yes she gets very fed up with the outbreaks and this one was the biggest she has ever had.
I know from experience that my GP wont prescribe acyclovir etc so I may need to buy it for her.  Thank you for your help
it's prescription only in the US