Long-term effects of herpes?
Are there long-term effects of genital herpes. I had this condition for many years but fairly frequent outbreaks occurred two years ago and now it seems I have less sensation and some proprioceptive numbness and/or mild aching sensations. Also, possibly related - about six months ago I have significant pain in my penis following masturbation but this has remitted.

Could this be residual to my outbreaks or likely due to something else. I am concerned due to the length of symptoms and its ongoing effect on my sexual enjoyment. Is there a medical specialist I can see as my PCP only recommends a urologist - it seems an STD specialist would be more appropriate.

Thank you for your review and input.
This is not a herpes issue.  I'd go for the urology consult for starters and perhaps even a neurology consult in case you have a nerve issue going on that is presenting in your penis ( hope that makes sense ).

There really aren't any long term effects of having herpes.

grace