Herpes Community
"Low Probability" HSV2 - Practical Next Steps?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

3 years ago I dated a woman who subsequently tested positive for HSV I/II.  Panicking, I had myself tested and came up negative for both on IgG and IgM tests (4 months post-exposure).  I've had a handful partners since (and been almost uniformly safe), but last week I elected to have a full STI panel run.

The surprising (and I'm ashamed to admit, terrifying) results were that I was IgG positive for both I/II, with an index value of 2.7 for HSV-1, and 2.9 for HSV-2. I was negative IgM for both.  It was an emotionally-charged 24 hours as I contacted my recent partners and urged them to get screened - the possibility that I might have unknowingly spread the disease weighs heavily upon me.

After that, I started my research.  And the first thing I learned was that my scores fall into the "Low Positive" range between 1.1-3.5.  I am struggling mightily not to get my hopes up, but I have some slight optimism that I may have a false positive on my hands (although from my research a 2.9 probably gives me no more than a 30-40% chance of this outcome)  In my favor are the facts that I've never experienced anything approaching an outbreak, don't engage in risky behavior, and also tested positive for HSV-1 (although I was unable to determine a what percentage this increased the odds of a false-positive - if anybody else has that information it might be useful to share).

My question is the next step.  As far as I can tell, all the IgG testing in my area (mid-sized midwestern city) is the same HerpesSelect protocol that had led to my current ambiguity.  I would very much like to take the BioKit or Western Blot tests but my primary care physician sort of stares at me blankly when I get into the details of what I am asking for and why.  I've contacted the Quest Diagnostics in my area and while they have about 50 tests for HSV in their database, the names are medical jargon - nothing on their list came up with "BioKit" or "Western Blot".  I'm frankly at the point where I called the University of Washington and asked about just flying to Seattle (the answer is "sure" by the way - just bring an insurance card and prescription from your doctor).

If somebody has been down this path before me and could offer some advice, it would be most welcome.  Likewise, if there's a physician out there who knows what the official names of the BioKit or Western Blot tests are, it would be a huge help.  In the meantime, I'm just going to wait by the phone and hope that all my partners come back ok - that's frankly the most important thing to me right now.

You can do the western blot. just call them and they will instruct you how to go about it with labcorb or quest diagnostics.