Herpes Community
Low positive HSV2 IgG and indeterminate Western Blot?

This forum is an un-mediated, patient-to-patient forum for questions and support regarding herpes issues such as: Herpes symptoms and treatments, causes, diagnosis, and herpes in men, tests, telling your spouse or partner.

I have never had a sign or symptom of genital herpes, but a year I was tested for HSV2 with the Elisa and my IgG level was 1.63. Two months ago I repeated the blood test with the Herpes Select and my IgG level for HSV2 was 1.64. I read on many forums that my levels are in the low positive grey area and should be confirmed with a Western Blot. The doctor I saw at the medical clinic said he doubted I had HSV2 because over the past year my levels have not increased and that because I had coal soars when I was younger my low positive is most likely cause by my HSV1.

So, a month ago I was tested with the Western Blot and my results for HSV1 came back positive, and my results for HSV2 came back INDETERMINATE. I have had the same sexual partner for over a year now and he is not HSV2 positive and neither of us have had any other partners.

Should I repeat the Western Blot? I've read that some people are just predisposed to getting indeterminate results and the test is not cheap.

What does this indeterminate result mean if there is no possibility that I just contracted HSV2?

My partner and I want to try and have children in the future and I just want to know for sure whether or not I have HSV2 and the risk having a natural birth would be. Also, piece of mind would be nice. All this grey area is seriously frustrating and mentally damaging. Having to go through all the waiting with another Western Blot only to get another indeterminate result would just add to the mental anguish.  

Thank you for any help or answers.  
the U of washington didn't recommend to repeat the WB in 3 months and order both results compared to each other? That's their standard advice in situations like that.

grace
Have a Herpes question?
100,000+ doctor answers